SOLVED Problem getting apps for Edge

Reaction score
I keep getting this message "you'll need a new app to open this ms-windows-store" whenever I try to get apps for Edge. I cannot figure out what it means. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Tony08,

I have not seen that particular error pop up myself, but here are three methods you can try, that will hopefully resolve the issue for you.

• Option 1
    • Press your Windows key + S to give focus to the Search field
    • In the Search field type command
    • In the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
    • Click yes when the User Account Control prompt appears.
    • Now in the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
WSReset.exe

Press Enter key to execute

This will clear the Windows Store cache for you and after a short wait Windows Store will open. If cleaning the cache resolves the issue that is triggering your error, you ought to see the Store app open with you all ready signed-in.

When done, close the Command Prompt.
  • Option 2
    • If Option 1 does not help, then the following may resolve the issue.
    • Left-click on Start then left-click on the Settings cog
    • With the Windows Settings app now open, select Apps
    • You should now see Apps & Features, but if you do not see this, then on left side click Apps & Features to open it.
    • Now in the main window of Apps & Features type Store in the Search this list field
    • Now left-click on Store then click the hyperlinked Advanced options
    • Click the Reset button, then after reading the warning, click Reset button in the warning dialog.
This will literally take just a few seconds and when completed you will see a check next to the Reset button to confirm its finished.

This option removes all your personal preferences and sign-in details from the Store app.

Try to open the Store App now. If it opens you will need to sign-in again, and if there were any personal settings you made there previously you wish to use still, you will need to make these settings changes again.
  • Option 3
    • If neither Options 1 or 2 help then you can attempt to re-install the Store app using PowerShell
    • Press your Windows key + S to give focus to the Search field
    • In the Search field type powershell
    • In the search results, right-click on Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator
    • Click yes when the User Account Control prompt appears.
    • Now using mouse left-click-and hold mouse button down as you drag cursor to highlight all the following code, then right-click on the highlighted code and select copy

Code:
      # Get all the provisioned packages
      $Packages = (get-item 'HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\Applications') | Get-ChildItem

# Filter the list if provided a filter
      $PackageFilter = $args[0]
      if ([string]::IsNullOrEmpty($PackageFilter)) {
        echo "No filter specified, attempting to re-register all provisioned apps."
      }
      else {
        $Packages = $Packages | where {$_.Name -like $PackageFilter}
        if ($Packages -eq $null) {
          echo "No provisioned apps match the specified filter."
          exit
        }
        else {
          echo "Registering the provisioned apps that match $PackageFilter"
        }
      }
      ForEach($Package in $Packages) {

# get package name & path
        $PackageName = $Package | Get-ItemProperty | Select-Object -ExpandProperty PSChildName
        $PackagePath = [System.Environment]::ExpandEnvironmentVariables(($Package | Get-ItemProperty | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Path))

# register the package   
        echo "Attempting to register package: $PackageName"

Add-AppxPackage -register $PackagePath -DisableDevelopmentMode
      }

• Next, go to your Administrator: Windows PowerShell console and right-click inside the console which will automatically paste the copied code into the console.
    • Press Enter key to execute.
    • After 30 seconds to 1 minutes all the apps will be re-registered.
    • Close the PowerShell console.
    • Now try and open the Store app.

Note: It may help to restart computer after Option 3 before attempting to open Store app again, to ensure registrations stick.

Hopefully, one of the above options will resolve your troubles.

Please report back on how you go, and if successful which option worked for you, as this may help others who run into this issue. If no options help, that information will still be helpful to know, as I am only offering what to me seems the most logical approach to try before attempting other options such as Troubleshoot apps or Repair Installation of Windows 10.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know Tony.

As there was a possibility that your issue was being triggered by more than one Windows Universal Apps (i.e. the apps that come installed with Windows 10) I gave you that longer Script to cover all bases.

The only other thing off the top of my head that could trigger such an event would be a Group Policy setting, that may result in preventing shared communications between some apps and Microsoft Store, or if a Windows 10 Home edition User, then a policy that had manually been added to the Windows Registry by the User or a third party app.

I'll continue digging into this to see whether or not I can trigger the error my end and pass on the relevant information to Microsoft who ought to be able to fix the issue if its deemed a high enough priority issue.

Ask a Question