SOLVED Problem with Wifi, getting a Gateway error message

Reaction score
Problems with my Netgear Router. My wifi had been working just fine, then last evening it stopped.
I've gotten two error messages: "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration". For that, I'm pretty sure that the Troubleshooting program fixed it. But this one is my concern: "The default gateway is not available". I have no idea what to do to fix that.
On my Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop, my Network Infrastructure Device is "WNR 2000v3 (Gateway)". I'm not sure if that will help with getting an answer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration
This suggests that for some reason your "router" is not providing DHCP information accurately or completely, which should include the appropriate IP address, DNS server addresses and the Default Gateway, which should be your router's own IP address.
It's possible that since
last evening it stopped
That you may have received an update to your wireless network adapter's driver.
Have a look in Device Manager at the properties of your Wireless Adapter and select the "Driver" tab and see if the "Roll Back Driver" button is available to you.
IF not.....
You may need to check with Netgear for your specific Model Name, Number and Rev. #, to see if they might have a firmware upgrade that may address issues such as you are experiencing.

Reaction score
Some folks have been complaining the Airplane mode has been turning itself on. Do you see a little airplane in the Taskbar or is the Airplane button in the Notification area dark blue?

If you were using Wireless you probably did not have an Ethernet cable connected or maybe the adapter was disabled. Do you actually have the wired connection available?

Reaction score
Might want to restart the router. If that does not help, plug your laptop in at the router with an ethernet cable (Network cable). If you do not have a valid gateway still, your router might have given out.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.

This suggests that for some reason your "router" is not providing DHCP information accurately or completely, which should include the appropriate IP address, DNS server addresses and the Default Gateway, which should be your router's own IP address.
It's possible that since

That you may have received an update to your wireless network adapter's driver.
Have a look in Device Manager at the properties of your Wireless Adapter and select the "Driver" tab and see if the "Roll Back Driver" button is available to you.
IF not.....
You may need to check with Netgear for your specific Model Name, Number and Rev. #, to see if they might have a firmware upgrade that may address issues such as you are experiencing.

Thanks for the idea, but I don't even have "Wireless Adapter" as an option in my Device Manager - which should be the same for all Windows 10 users. Unfortunately, Netgear has lousy customer support, or I would have called them in the first place about this.

Reaction score
Might want to restart the router. If that does not help, plug your laptop in at the router with an ethernet cable (Network cable). If you do not have a valid gateway still, your router might have given out.

I've started and restarted the router, and I'm using an ethernet cable already. I do think I'll need a new router, as this is the second time in 4 months that it has given me problems. But thanks!

Reaction score
Update. NOT SOLVED even after doing the roll back as you'd suggested. Both my laptop and iPhone showed that they were using wifi , and they showed wifi connected "sign". BUT, mysteriously, I then found out that I actually wasn't. Lost all connectivity. If that isn't weird, I don't know what is! So I'm back to connecting my computer directly to the modem. Now what? Maybe my router is just ready to be replaced...

Reaction score
OK, I just tried one more thing. Going back to Network Adapters, I updated the driver. Now I finally am actually connected to the wifi and it's working. Fingers crossed that it won't stop after about 5-10 minutes, which is what it was doing before it stopped working completely. So if it continues to work for an hour or two, I can mark this thread as solved.

Ask a Question