SOLVED Small problem with Edge.

Reaction score
Hi, I have been using Edge as my main browser, I have the home page set as Google.co.uk and for the last couple of weeks (before the creator update which happened a few days ago) there has been no cursor in the search box. When I start up Edge for the first time I have a cursor but if I navigate away to another page and then come back to the home page, no cursor, and I have to click in the search box to get a cursor. This doesn't happen if I use Firefox everything is normal there. I have searched the web and tried turning off instant search and resetting the home page but nothing seems to work. I find it strange that on initial startup of edge, which loads the home page I get a cursor but returning to the home page from other pages I don't. It's not a great problem just annoying. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.
quick edit, forgot to mention the same thing happens with the search box on Youtube, perhaps its a google thing.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure I am following you here.

I use Edge as my preferred browser, and have never opened the Browser to be welcomed by a cursor in my Address / Search bar.

I press Ctrl + E when I want to use the address bar to search from, which initially starts with ? I, but once I have typed in my search and choose a site to visit, this is immediately replaced with the URL of the site I am now on, and upon hitting the Back Browser History arrow, or the Home icon, I return to my Home page with my Home Page URL displaying as I'd expect an Address bar to be doing.

Reaction score
Hard to follow what you are saying. When yo open Edge is Google your home page? Do as Regedit mentioned "Ctrl +E and using the search bar try changing your home page and see if it solves your problem.

Reaction score
Hi, Yes Google is my home page, the search box I am talking about is in the middle of the page just under the google logo. When I fire up Edge and the Google page appears there is a cursor in this box. If I then search for something Google works fine. If I then click on the home button from whatever page I am looking at the google home page turns up as it should but in the box in the centre of the page the cursor doesn't appear and I have to click in the box to get it to appear. I am not talking about using the address bar at the top of the page to search from, I have no problems with that. I am now thinking that it may be a Google thing as I have found many web entries about this problem from around 5-7 years ago.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try adding your home page to the favorites bar in Edge.
Then experiment to see if that behaves as you would expect the Edge "Home Button" to work.
IF so then it's likely that someone dropped the ball when coding the "set focus" line for the home button.
Who knows, but if it works as expected in all other browsers "except Edge" then it could be a combination of Microsoft (Edge) and Google (Chrome) needing to get their respective acts coordinated

Reaction score
Yes I'll give that a go. Annoying thing is that it has been working fine for months and has now just gone off the boil.

Reaction score
Tried adding it to favourites and it now works as it should from there but not from the home button

Reaction score
I have now tried a little experiment. I have set my home page to duckduckgo, and bing and both home pages so the same problem as google. On Firefox there is now problem with any homepage that I set so to me it looks like its a problem with Edge. Is there troubleshooter for Edge or any way of reinstalling it?

Regedit32

Reaction score
To test things I set my Home Page to Google and also my Startup tabs.

You are correct that initially the Cursor appears inside the search box, meaning as trouble pointed out the Focus is given to this field. You are also correct noting that upon leaving the homepage then returning that focus is lost and thus you need to click in the field to return focus.

Again, as Trouble pointed out, this sounds more like an oversight than any real bug per se, thus I doubt, the deletion of the Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe contents, located at:
  • %localappdata%Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
then the registering of this app to re-instate it, would achieve anything better.

That is effectively, how you'd troubleshoot Microsoft Edge, but as I stated it would likely have no affect on the situation.

Reaction score
Thanks for that I have just read how to reinstall and decided to let things ride as it seems more hassle to reinstall and as you say I don't think that it would make any difference. I think this has happened since an update a few weeks ago. I have looked in the update history but since I did the creator update a few days ago it seems to have decided that all history before that isn't wanted and deleted it.

Ask a Question