Problems with Favourites Bar in Edge

Reaction score
On my laptop I have too many folders in my Favourites Bar for them all to appear on the screen, so Edge shows a down arrow at the far right of the bar. When I click on this arrow the remaining folders appear in a drop-down list. However, when, immediately after launching Edge, I click on one of these remaining folders Edge shuts down after a short pause. This does not happen when I click on any of the folders in the visible Favourites Bar, which open normally. I have a way to avoid this shut-down and that is to first click on any of the folders in the visible Favourites Bar and then to click on the down arrow. Having done that, I can then click on a folder in the drop-down list and it opens normally.

I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me how to avoid this odd situation. Many thanks.

Reaction score
Wow, that's weird. Your Edge shows the remaining in a drop down list? I checked both my desktops and my laptop and Edge shows a scroll bar on the right. Not drop down list. If I click on a sub-folder in the list, the favorites content appears on a slide-out panel from the right.

Maybe you should re-import your favorites from IE. Make sure you open IE and check that all is good there. Then in Edge, import favorites and then toggle the Show Favorites off, reset Edge and then toggle Show favorites back on.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. You don't have a drop-down list? Perhaps my terminology is wrong. This is what I mean:

upload_2016-9-16_16-28-10.png

If I were to click on the Other Bookmarks folder in what I am calling the drop-down list, Edge would close down. I have the same problem with my tablet but not with my desktop because the monitor is larger and therefore all my Favourites folders are visible.

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-16_16-25-54.png
    upload_2016-9-16_16-25-54.png
    580.3 KB · Views: 588
Reaction score
Okay, understood. I tried it with both my laptop 1388 x 900 and my tablet 7" and everything works fine, including opening folders from the right menu.

Open IE on your systems and see if it is showing the initial welcome page after a new install. Once it is done and you can open it normally to the indicated start page, close it and reopen Edge and reimport favorites.

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have said in my last post that I have already reimported my favourites (from Chrome - I don't use IE). I opened IE to check and that works fine, as does Chrome. It's just Edge that's the problem and only if I click on folders from the right menu immediately after launching; if I click on a folder from the Favourites Bar first I don't have the problem.

Ask a Question