SOLVED Photo Editor Problems

Reaction score
Hi,
when I transfer a photo from my Galaxy cell phone to my laptop with Win10, the only option to “open with” is with Paint or Paint 3D, which I don't want.

Windows has the built-in photo editor and I have installed Google Photos.

How can I place Windows Photo editor as a desktop icon shortcut? Most of all, how can I set Google Photos to come up as an option to the “open with” command? At this point, I can't even open and crop, etc.

I have used Picasa for years and loved it. Have not been able to find anything comparable. Have downloaded Irfanview but found it complicated. I miss Picasa!!!!! It gave me just enough user-friendly editing. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Also, from what I can see, Google Photos is mostly geared for mobile devices. I prefer to do my editing on my laptop.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When you are presented with the options dialog box where you are seeing Paint and Paint 3d, scroll up to the top and see if "Photos" is present.
I noticed recently that for some reason it opens in the middle of possible selections.

Reaction score
Several choices you offer us there.
Picasa is still available. It is no longer supported, as it has been superseded by google Photos. It only works off line and a couple of minor fucntions have been withdrawn. If you want to download the last version, try here:
https://picasa.en.uptodown.com/windows/download

For the shortcut of the built in Photo editor, on the desktop, there is a published trick to the Apps.
Open the File explorer, and, in the address bar type
%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}

This will show you all the Apps on your computer. Scroll down to Photos and right click it. It will give you the option to put a shortcut on the desktop.
As Trouble says, the option to "open with" photos should be there?

Reaction score
Hi Anneliese ,

you can also right click any photo and "Open with > Choose another app" then select your app from a list!. :):):)

open with.jpg

Bif

Reaction score
I second @davehc and his suggestion using Picasa.. in my opinion it's one of the greatest free photo editing/gallery's out there.

Reaction score
I'm sorry that it took so long to get back to you, but thank you so very much for all of you to have taken the time to write.
The "open with " command doesn't show Windows Photo anywhere as an option. In the meantime, I was able to install Picasa without any added apps.
I'm soooo glad to have Picasa back!!! It still gives me everything I need for editing. Again, thank you so much for your suggestions!!

Bif

Reaction score
I'm glad that everything worked out for you, and I agree that Picasa offers great editing and more... Although I have Photoshop installed and I do use it for more in-depth work Picasa is my go to for everyday editing.
Thanks for the update!

Reaction score
Thank you Bighhorn. I'm so happy to have Picasa back. Yes, it's a shame that Google and sometimes Microsoft is forcing people into apps. they really don't want.

Ask a Question