Photos Process tying up memory even when suspended

Reaction score
Right now I am having a hell of a time trying to keep my photos process from eating up all my ram. Currently, it's using 620mb of memory, and I'm not using it for anything. This is an older PC so I need all the memory resources I can. Killing the process works for awhile, but it always comes right back. I have heard about going into the background apps section of settings and killing it there, but it is not listed in the list for background tasks. Can anyone help me stop this stupid app from running in the background and killing my memory? on a PC running Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.472)

Reaction score
That's odd, because not only do I not find it in the background app section, it's not listed as a process (although I don't use it as my default photo viewer). I can launch photos from the stat menu, but the process goes away as soon as I close it. You can right click it in your menu and select more then app settings. There's a few different settings there. Unfortunately uninstall is grayed out. You might want to try repair or reset.

Reaction score
Is there a chance malware is disguising itself as my photos process and doing stuff in the background without my knowledge?

I did do some research on this issue before coming here, and other users have had this identical issue on Windows 10 with the photos process running in in the background using resources. I guess next time I see it running I can check network activity and see if there’s anything suspicious.

Reaction score
Had you made any changes to any photos showing when it runs? This is the Photos utility from Win 10 and not some third party software?

If you look for the app in the start menu, right click and go to More. You may find some option which could help, like reset. Just be sure if you had modified some photo, you either save or undo current changes.

Reaction score
There's always a chance anything is malware. But in this case, I highly doubt it. Right click on the process in the task manager and select properties. This should be the file location.
Capture.JPG

Ask a Question