Old PCI Slot New Usb 3 Ports

Reaction score
I have an old PC with one measly USB 3.0 Slot that refeuses to work, regardless of the hours I have spent troubleshooting my device, since Win10 took the ability to do that out at some point.

So, I have one PCI slot left, underneath my (still decent) dual core graphics card, and I want to make sure I order the right type.

Its an AMD 4300 Quad core processor with a NVidia 730 Graphics Card

I just want to make sure all this extra space in the connection on the slot is still ok

Reaction score
The PCI slot is old but searching through Amazon for something else I did discover they had a PCI Add-in card for USB 2 and another for USB 3. I'm not sure you'd get full speed with PCI versus using a card for a PCIe slot. And some of either type may need additional power from the power supply itself.

Reaction score
Like Bighorn says, PCIe would be preferable, but you have to make sure what open slots you have on your motherboard. What model is your motherboard?

Reaction score
MSI 760 gm-P34(fx) motherboard
If your PCIe x1 slot is free (the smallest slot), then that's the one you should buy. Like Bighorn said, you might be restricted to the speed of the PCI bus if you went with that option. It shows you have 1 PCIe x1 slot on that motherboard. Verify there's nothing in that slot first.

Ask a Question