Outlook Express for Windows 10 (and 8.1)

Reaction score
I just upgraded to Windows 10 and of course OE6 runasxp version is gone. I tried installing it but I get a notice that it is unable to reach the server to verify my key and the install stops. I regularly go back to old emails and am wondering if there is a similar OE 6 out there that will be able to access those old emails? I like having my emails on my harddrive rather than out in the cloud.

Reaction score
I'd use OE Classic or the E-Mail client in the SeaMonkey browser. OE used the .wab Address Book file and if I recall correctly the messages were in a .dbx file. While I could do it I opened each important message then saved it to my hard drive.

Reaction score
I just upgraded to Windows 10 and of course OE6 runasxp version is gone. I tried installing it but I get a notice that it is unable to reach the server to verify my key and the install stops. I regularly go back to old emails and am wondering if there is a similar OE 6 out there that will be able to access those old emails? I like having my emails on my harddrive rather than out in the cloud.
I have put together an alternative installer for the RunAsXp version. You may find it with a Google search for "outlookexpressonwindows10 winramtech"

Reaction score
OE Classic 3.2 has received so many upgrades recently like compatibility with Windows 11, drag and drop of attachments, setting as default for .EML files, mailto: links and right click "send to mail recipient" (MAPI support), command line parameters for starting identities, improved and faster display of emails using a newer browser engine and so much more. And it is very similar to OE6, in fact, it looks almost the same, same keyboard shortcuts as well.

It makes no sense to continue using a 20-year old Outlook Express 6 which also discontinued for a very long time and makes your system more vulnerable to viruses and malware which is the reason why Windows 10 updates remove it (it uses DLL files from Windows XP, which are vulnerable to malware than the ones supplied with Windows 10 which are up to date).

Just use OEClassic if you prefer the user interface of Outlook Express, or another email program.

Reaction score
OE Classic was not an alternative for me. It could not import my huge tree of Locale Folders and deep nested subfolders. The result was a mess.

Reaction score
OE Classic can easily import Outlook Express files and will keep not only the tree nesting but also the message flags (replied, forwarded, flagged etc.). It has 2 importers - "Microsoft Outlook Express 6" which imports directly from (DBX) files directly the message contents exactly as it appears in the DBX files, and also "Windows Mail" importer which only works on Windows XP and Vista and uses Microsoft's own API to import messages both from Windows Mail, Outlook Express 6 (32 bit) and Outlook Express 6 (64 bit on WinXP 64bit) but this API only exists on Windows XP and Windows Vista so if using that importer the import must be done directly on XP or Vista, otherwise you would use the former importer which reads directly from files and can be used on Windows 10 or Windows 11. Import is most definitely possible and will preserve your messages integrity 100% (messages, attachments, folders, tree, read/unread/replied/forwarded/flagged status).

Why don't you contact their user support and they will guide you how to do it, as it is surely possible. It worked for me.

Reaction score
It does it easily, I know, but it stumbled over my huge tree of about 50 locale folders, and much of them have subfolders up to 5 levels deep. The subfolders were painful for OEClassic. I count nearly 9000 *.dbx files within the store. By the way, I don't like the fancy colors of OEClassic, I do like the cool style of the OE 6.0 buttons and its compact tree view.

Reaction score
Just an update. I am still using Outlook Express 6 (from runasxp.com ) on desktop, and 2 laptops that have Windows 10 Pro on them. One thing I started doing a lot time ago is to export the "identities" in the user hive (Registry) as well as the Outlook Express -> here \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express to a different drive, usually on my laptop it is D:\backups BTW your unique key code for OE6 is stored in that latter registry hive. Useful if you need to re-install OE6.

I also have the program that restores the OE6 to the computer. It looks into the windows.old folder and gets the information it needs and after it is done, all you need then is the (latest release) original OE6 installation files and it works. Haven't had to repair OE6 in quite a long time.

I agree, my needs of sending and receiving emails are minimal. I don't need all the bells and whistles of Outlook, which my wife uses. Each one of my email accounts has it's own unique identity and stores in a separate part of the whole drive. Usually I also keep a copy of the exported .reg files in there as well, for ease of finding.

Reaction score
Just an update. I am still using Outlook Express 6 (from runasxp.com ) on desktop, and 2 laptops that have Windows 10 Pro on them. One thing I started doing a lot time ago is to export the "identities" in the user hive (Registry) as well as the Outlook Express -> here \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express to a different drive, usually on my laptop it is D:\backups BTW your unique key code for OE6 is stored in that latter registry hive. Useful if you need to re-install OE6.

I also have the program that restores the OE6 to the computer. It looks into the windows.old folder and gets the information it needs and after it is done, all you need then is the (latest release) original OE6 installation files and it works. Haven't had to repair OE6 in quite a long time.

I agree, my needs of sending and receiving emails are minimal. I don't need all the bells and whistles of Outlook, which my wife uses. Each one of my email accounts has it's own unique identity and stores in a separate part of the whole drive. Usually I also keep a copy of the exported .reg files in there as well, for ease of finding.

You should save HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager as well. Your Outlook Express mail accounts are saved within that registry hive and not elsewhere.

Reaction score
You should save HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager as well. Your Outlook Express mail accounts are saved within that registry hive and not elsewhere.
I'm sorry, but that is not true. I went to that registry location, and there is nothing in there about Outlook Express. I find it in only 2 places. They are: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities (and there are sub folders for each email account "identity" and then Outlook Express is found here: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express and in that is found files, including KEY and InstallRoot, where the program is installed. The KEY shows the activation key I got from the RunAsXp administrator.
That is the only places that seem important for the Outlook Express to run proper.

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but that is not true. I went to that registry location, and there is nothing in there about Outlook Express. I find it in only 2 places. They are: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities (and there are sub folders for each email account "identity" and then Outlook Express is found here: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express and in that is found files, including KEY and InstallRoot, where the program is installed. The KEY shows the activation key I got from the RunAsXp administrator.
That is the only places that seem important for the Outlook Express to run proper.

On my old XP installation with XP3 those accounts are also stored at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts . I have multiple accounts and each of them is stored within a sub key of \Accounts like this 00000001 one . It could be that the RunAsXP made changes to that default location. Anyway , I use my own installer ( Google with "OutlookExpress6onWindows10 + winramtech" to get what I use ) and I don't bother anymore about RunAsXP .

Last edited:
Reaction score

On Windows XP with SP3 that registry may exist. I'd have to boot into my desktop XP (dual boot XP SP3 - Windows 10 Pro) to see sometime, but in Windows 10 registry, there are those 2 spots I mentioned above.
It hasn't happened for a long time, but when Windows 10 did a major update, it saved the old Windows as Window.old (find using show hidden files) and it obliterated the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities completely, and oddly enough in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express it doesn't completely delete it, just some of the registry entries, and especially the one with the KEY and to the right shows the actual key code used to activate that program OE6 that I paid $5.00 for a long time ago. I'm still able to get mail using OE and love it's simplicity. I can reply, I can save to a different drive, etc so basically I do not need to fly a 747 Jumbo Jet to go 40 miles when a simple single engine plane (or car) would do. I don't get nuts onboard the single engine plane unless I buy them and bring them along. This is just an analogy. I don't need, nor necessarily want too much complication and bells and whistles just to read and reply (if I want) to email. I also use PoP Peeper email client to view and delete email on the servers since I have more than one email account and I can even reply using that email client. Cute little program, and gives great support even yet today. It is nice to delete all the feldercarb I get in email (read - JUNK) so I don't have to later on download it using OE6

Reaction score
The HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts key is still created by Outlook Express on Windows 10 ( and 11 ) when it starts for the first time when using my own installer ( mentioned before ), just in the same manner as it does on XP. On my web page , I mention that Windows removed my own installation during an update to Windows 10 version 20H2 , but this could gave been the result of some remaining files an/or registry keys from the RunAsXp installation. This never happened again after a cumulative update or whatever. I think that Windows detects the uninstaller from RunAsXp and then removes it. My own installation package does not provide an uninstaller , so , windows does not know what to do with it.

And indeed, Outlook Express is for me the "turbo". The speed it shows the emails within my bunch of local folders is fantastic. OE Classic is a lazy pig compared to Outlook Express.

For your interest. Outlook Express ( and many other email clients ) are marked as "untrusted app" by Google Mail. After Mai 30th 2022 , you will have to activate the "2-step activation" within the Google Account settings on their web page to continue using Outlook Express with GMail.

Reaction score
I think that Windows detects the uninstaller from RunAsXp and then removes it. My own installation package does not provide an uninstaller , so , windows does not know what to do with it.
Perhaps that is an answer. Delete the "uninstall"of the RunAsXP that was created., or at least move it. I had also moved the default file location, some time back from the normal C:\Windows\Programs x86 folder to another area of a extended drive.
I just now went into my HP Laptop folder c:\Program Files (x86)\Outlook Express and renamed the uninstall file from uninstall.exe to uninstall.ex_ and saved it as such. I can always go back into the folder and do another rename to the original .exe extension, but if the update looks for that particular file, it might pass over it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I too used runasxp for many years until the server disappeared.
What works for me? I created a copy of the Outlook Express folder in the Program Files (x86) directory called old Outlook Express. It contains msimn.exe. After a Windows 10 update, I launch it from there and bingo! Outlook Express runs. I then create a shortcut on my desktop to replace the one Window update deleted. I'm running 22H2.

Reaction score
I too used runasxp for many years until the server disappeared.
What works for me? I created a copy of the Outlook Express folder in the Program Files (x86) directory called old Outlook Express. It contains msimn.exe. After a Windows 10 update, I launch it from there and bingo! Outlook Express runs. I then create a shortcut on my desktop to replace the one Window update deleted. I'm running 22H2.
Because it is easy to do I too, made a folder in Program Files (X86) and gave it the name of old Outlook Express and copied ALL the files from the main Outlook Express into it. '
I tried launching from that folder an it worked just fine.
It's there for back up 'Just in case". :)

Reaction score
It ain't true. Just a pile of BS.
WinXP OE simply won't work under Win10. Even after uninstalling "Windows Mail" from Win10 and pasting "Outlook Express" under "Program Files (x86)" wab.exe will just open Explorer under "C:\Users\-username-\Contacts", and msimn.exe will trigger a system error.
Old 32 bit wab.exe will be substituted with explorer, no matter what.

Reaction score
It ain't true. Just a pile of BS.
WinXP OE simply won't work under Win10. Even after uninstalling "Windows Mail" from Win10 and pasting "Outlook Express" under "Program Files (x86)" wab.exe will just open Explorer under "C:\Users\-username-\Contacts", and msimn.exe will trigger a system error.
Old 32 bit wab.exe will be substituted with explorer, no matter what.

A copy & paste of "Outlook Express" from XP into "Program Files (x86)" will indeed not work, There is more much to do to get it working. Do a "google search" for "winramtech outlook express 6" . If you like a pure Italian version , then search for "outlook express for windows 7-8.1-10 (x86-x64 bit)" . The first match of both searches handle about installing OE on Windows 10.

Reaction score
STILL using OE6 in Windows 10, later update.
Have all the "identities" that I can change to within Outlook Express for my emails. Works fast and smooth. Happy it works still.

Reaction score
STILL using OE6 in Windows 10, later update.
Have all the "identities" that I can change to within Outlook Express for my emails. Works fast and smooth. Happy it works still.

Already 35 RunAsXp users migrated to my OE installer after they were not able anymore to reach the activation server.

Ask a Question