Outlook Express for Windows 10 (and 8.1)

Reaction score
I just upgraded to Windows 10 and of course OE6 runasxp version is gone. I tried installing it but I get a notice that it is unable to reach the server to verify my key and the install stops. I regularly go back to old emails and am wondering if there is a similar OE 6 out there that will be able to access those old emails? I like having my emails on my harddrive rather than out in the cloud.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I'd use OE Classic or the E-Mail client in the SeaMonkey browser. OE used the .wab Address Book file and if I recall correctly the messages were in a .dbx file. While I could do it I opened each important message then saved it to my hard drive.

Reaction score
I just upgraded to Windows 10 and of course OE6 runasxp version is gone. I tried installing it but I get a notice that it is unable to reach the server to verify my key and the install stops. I regularly go back to old emails and am wondering if there is a similar OE 6 out there that will be able to access those old emails? I like having my emails on my harddrive rather than out in the cloud.
I have put together an alternative installer for the RunAsXp version. You may find it with a Google search for "outlookexpressonwindows10 winramtech"

Reaction score
OE Classic 3.2 has received so many upgrades recently like compatibility with Windows 11, drag and drop of attachments, setting as default for .EML files, mailto: links and right click "send to mail recipient" (MAPI support), command line parameters for starting identities, improved and faster display of emails using a newer browser engine and so much more. And it is very similar to OE6, in fact, it looks almost the same, same keyboard shortcuts as well.

It makes no sense to continue using a 20-year old Outlook Express 6 which also discontinued for a very long time and makes your system more vulnerable to viruses and malware which is the reason why Windows 10 updates remove it (it uses DLL files from Windows XP, which are vulnerable to malware than the ones supplied with Windows 10 which are up to date).

Just use OEClassic if you prefer the user interface of Outlook Express, or another email program.

Reaction score
OE Classic was not an alternative for me. It could not import my huge tree of Locale Folders and deep nested subfolders. The result was a mess.

Reaction score
OE Classic can easily import Outlook Express files and will keep not only the tree nesting but also the message flags (replied, forwarded, flagged etc.). It has 2 importers - "Microsoft Outlook Express 6" which imports directly from (DBX) files directly the message contents exactly as it appears in the DBX files, and also "Windows Mail" importer which only works on Windows XP and Vista and uses Microsoft's own API to import messages both from Windows Mail, Outlook Express 6 (32 bit) and Outlook Express 6 (64 bit on WinXP 64bit) but this API only exists on Windows XP and Windows Vista so if using that importer the import must be done directly on XP or Vista, otherwise you would use the former importer which reads directly from files and can be used on Windows 10 or Windows 11. Import is most definitely possible and will preserve your messages integrity 100% (messages, attachments, folders, tree, read/unread/replied/forwarded/flagged status).

Why don't you contact their user support and they will guide you how to do it, as it is surely possible. It worked for me.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
It does it easily, I know, but it stumbled over my huge tree of about 50 locale folders, and much of them have subfolders up to 5 levels deep. The subfolders were painful for OEClassic. I count nearly 9000 *.dbx files within the store. By the way, I don't like the fancy colors of OEClassic, I do like the cool style of the OE 6.0 buttons and its compact tree view.

Ask a Question