Outlook Mail 2016 - Folder Clutter

Reaction score
After upgrading from Windows 7 to 10, my Outlook mail only worked properly for a couple of days. My Folders file started to accumulate unwanted items called 'Notes' - the first line is followed by _0 and the next line would be the same but with two 0's and when it got to four 0's it repeats itself 20 or 30 times. I get messages in my inbox from Microsoft Outlook telling me 'One or more folders in your mailbox is named incorrectly' and that I should rename them. When I do, it just duplicates the number of items in the Folders file with the new folder name plus the old ones identified as 'Notes'. So the problem is doubled. It won't let me delete them. I can go through the delete process but they just reappear. I get these inbox messages from Microsoft multiple times (as many as 60 at a time) with he same day and time stamp. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this stuff for good? I have no idea why this is happening but it is incredibly annoying.

Reaction score
I think he means MS Outlook 2016. I am playing with it at the moment, but cannot see any reason for his problem.
fwiw. I downloaded it for MSDN. It is alleged standalone, but the download and installation includes most of the Word 2016 suite.

Reaction score
Reaction score
I have had partial success in that I was able to get rid of the Folder clutter by deleting each entry one at a time. Since there were hundreds of them, it was a time consuming task. Now the problem is that my Inbox gets multiple copies of each email. Today I received two emails but between the two there were 70 entries in the Inbox. They are easily deleted but I would like to know the reason for this occurring. Any guesses? Thanks.
Don Cross

Reaction score
Spoke too soon. All of the clutter is back again - and then some! What a colossal piece of crap this thing is. Bring back 'live.com'.
Don Cross

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Today I received two emails but between the two there were 70 entries in the Inbox
I do not understand that statement. Is there anyway you might provide a snapshot of what you are seeing so we might better understand the problem.
Use the windows snipping tool to capture an image of any window that you are viewing so we can actually see what you are seeing.
Bring back 'live.com'.
Live.com hasn't gone anywhere, just type it in your browsers URL address bar and hit enter. They call it outlook.com now but the functionality is basically the same.
I consider myself reasonably skilled at Microsoft Office Outlook been using it exclusively since Office 2000 and have never had this problem as I understand it being described and I'm not sure that I actually do understand it.
Currently have Office 2013 installed on my primary machine and Office 365 version 2016 installed on my second physical machine, where I test my preview builds, where it frequently suffers being wiped and reinstalled, never have I received duplicate emails (excepting of course where a vendor or other email subscription has occasionally been sent twice, having nothing to do with anything going on, on my end.)
And I really don't understand the "two emails" with "seventy entries in the inbox".
I literally can't imagine it.... that's why I ask for an actual picture of what he is seeing.
I could guess at a view setting, having something to do with grouping conversations, or sorting but even then I can't get my head around how two individual email (even if they were duplicates) might or could generate "70 entries in the inbox".... What were these seventy entries, did the email(s) just keep duplicating itself until there were 70 of them like Tribbles, IF so why did it stop at 70?

Reaction score
Hi - okay, I have provided three samples. First (Capture) is what I see when I open my email. There is always multiple copies in the inbox - all with the same time stamp except in the morning when I haven't checked since the night before, there could be 3 or 4 different date stamps and the ONE message could be repeated 80, 90 or even more than a hundred times. I delete these several times during the day to try and keep the entries down. Emails from other than Microsoft are repeated in the same manner. Second sample (MSemail content) is what is in each of the Microsoft emails. Although it makes reference to the character '/', in most instances the Microsoft email is all that is in the inbox so if the '/' is a problem, it is imbedded in their email, which I find confusing. The third sample (Folders - More) is what appears in the 'More' file under Folders and these entries can go on for hundreds of lines. I did succeed in deleting them all once and I did a reboot immediately following that and they did disappear for a day or two but returned again. Thanks very much for the help.
Don Cross

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    23.4 KB · Views: 835
  • MSemail Content.PNG
    MSemail Content.PNG
    54.2 KB · Views: 853
  • Folders-More.jpg
    Folders-More.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 682

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The third sample (Folders - More) is what appears in the 'More' file under Folders
That is not looking much like Office Outlook or even Outlook.com to me, it looks more like the new Universal App called "Mail".
Regardless of the view option I choose when using "Office Outlook 2016" I cannot seem to produce a "More" option under folders. I see this instead

Capture.PNG

Likewise when I open Outlook.com I see this....

Capture2.PNG

Perhaps you might read this article https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/outlook-vs-outlook-com-vs-windows-live-mail-vs-mail.29/
And advise as to which email client program you are actually using. What are you clicking on to launch it.
I ask because I am unable to see, what you are seeing and cannot replicate the view, let alone the problem.

I am not a user of the "Mail" app, so unfortunately I can't provide much in the way of actual help with regards to that program.

Reaction score
A lot of what has been posted makes reference to 'Office'. I have read that MS Office apparently provides the means to delete clutter from Outlook. However, I do not have MS Office. Just to clarify, I have provided a look at my Default page. The 'Mail' which I think a previous post said 'it doesn't look much like Office Outlook' is shown on the Default page as a Microsoft product. This is the one that lists 'More' under Folders. It was downloaded from Microsoft's website when I was told Live.com would be discontinued to Windows 10 users. I am curious to see what happens, if anything, when June 30th arrives and live.com is supposed to be discontinued. In the meantime, I continue to get dozens of copies of the same email (previous post) every day. The saga continues.....
Don Cross

Attachments

• Defaults.PNG
    Defaults.PNG
    46.5 KB · Views: 764

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you click this link and log on with your email address and password??
https://www.live.com/
OR
Just type
Code:
www.live.com
Into the URL address bar of your favorite browser and hit enter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
the link takes me to the Microsoft store and typing live.com takes me to the 'outlook.live.com' mailbox which is where the majority of the multiple copy emails occur (176 this last time). I would hope that the outlook.live designation will disappear after June 30th.
Don Cross

Reaction score
the link takes me to the Microsoft store and typing live.com takes me to the 'outlook.live.com' mailbox which is where the majority of the multiple copy emails occur (176 this last time). I would hope that the outlook.live designation will disappear after June 30th.
Don Cross
After clicking on the link again, I clicked on the mailbox option and it took me to my outlook.live.com mailbox - same as typing 'live.com'
Don Cross

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry Don....
IF you can't log into your online account and clean it up that way, I'm not sure if there is anything you can do through a local application or software product.
Those are on Microsoft's mail servers, maybe there's a chance that you could solicit there assistance in cleaning it up.
I see a bunch of references to "notes" I'm unfamilar with what that might involve, unless it has something to do with OneNote or a similar third party product.

Reaction score
Sorry Don....
IF you can't log into your online account and clean it up that way, I'm not sure if there is anything you can do through a local application or software product.
Those are on Microsoft's mail servers, maybe there's a chance that you could solicit there assistance in cleaning it up.
I see a bunch of references to "notes" I'm unfamilar with what that might involve, unless it has something to do with OneNote or a similar third party product.

Reaction score
Okay - thanks very much for your efforts. I'm sure it will all get sorted out eventually.
Don Cross

Reaction score
OK - after a lot of playing with this, I was finally able to clear the Folder clutter. Not sure what it was that succeeded but it seems to have created another problem. Sending a new email does not go to the intended recipient but rather ends up in my Draft file and can't be sent from there either. Any thoughts on this one? Thanks
Don Cross

Ask a Question