PC boots to 'Other User' after windows re-install.

Reaction score
My Dell Inspiron 580 desktop boots to 'other user'. I don't use a password and I am the only user so have always had it boot to my account and desktop. I have reinstalled windows many times but never had this before. Looking at netplwz shows just my account. How do get it back to booting ot my desktop?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looking at netplwz shows just my account
Are you absolutely certain that there is not some confusion involving the naming of your particular account?

Launch a command prompt and type
net user
hit enter
What do you see for a list of users that Windows believes is actually present on your computer?

Check C:\Users
What do you see there as a list of user profile folders for users on your computer?

Reaction score
As follows:

C:\Users says unrecognisable command

C:\>net user

User accounts for \\DESKTOP-N207O7U

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Administrator DefaultAccount defaultuser0
Guest Trevor
The command completed successfully.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm not clear as to your goal.
Does it not boot to the "Trevor" account?
IS the "Trevor" account, not the account you want?
Does the "Trevor" account, not contain the profile data you expect (desktop, docs, music, pictures, etc.,)?
IS there any other profile folders in C:\Users other than "Trevor" and the defaults that you've shown above?

Reaction score
Open the menu and scroll down and select Administrative tools and then Computer Management
In the left pane, select users
If you see Kevin there, double click it and select Enable
Back out of the window and restart

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I beginning to feel like I'm stuck in an Abbot and Costello "Who's on First" loop.
I was under the impression that you had only one user available.
Maybe "boots to" is where I'm misunderstanding something.
Are you saying that you are getting a sign-in screen and on that sign-in screen you have to select from a list of "other users", your "Trevor" account to log into the machine?
IS the "trevor" account a local account or a Microsoft Account.
Perhaps something you might have done in bypassing the sign-in / password using netplwiz has got your machine confused as to the account(s). I have seen that produce two accounts before and no one seems to know exactly why this happens and I thought it had been resolved in the most recent updates to Windows 10.
Perhaps undo your netplwiz setting by rechecking the box to require a password and see how the machine behaves after a couple reboots

Reaction score
You dontsee this??

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
When I boot the window I get just show one account to log into 'Other User', Its doesn't show mine. I type my name into username and then it logs in as me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... that would be the results of changing
Interactive logon: Do not display user name
In the local group policy editor or else the corresponding registry key.

Capture.PNG
GPedit.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
WoW! That sorted that. I wouldn't know it existed let alone have changed it though so don't know what happened there it ws there straight after a fresh windows install. Many thanks.

Ask a Question