SOLVED PC starts and runs but nothing on the monitor at all!

Reaction score
My PC is a home build with ASUS mother board, XENON CPU and 16 GB of RAM; it has run flawlessly for two years on Win 7 Pro; I changed to the "free" Win 10 dwnld and everything ran smoothly for past 3 months. Started up today and "no screen" with the typical bios info and nothing but darkness. I'm not sure if this is a virus security problem since my past experiences all had screen feed back with bios access prior to Windows starting. Assuming some villain attacked my PC at its heart by somehow messing up the bios set up, I tried restoring any lost or corrupted files using a flash drive with the ASUS ROM file on the MB disc as well as a latest downld. Still no relief. If not a security matter or a Win 10 fault, perhaps the mother board failed at some innocuous point which allows the board to function with all fans running and using power. I thought the NVidia adapter card could be at fault and installed a tested spare with no change in lack of video for the bios. Still have to test the power circuits and will let you know of any success. In the meantime, I would like any feedback you may have on whether this is likely a security or a Win 10 problem?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So... you get the BIOS splash screen and general POST information??
IF so, when the bootstrap process hands off to the Windows boot loader, do you continue to see disk activity? Flashing HDD light on the computer?
I suppose the first thing you need to do is access your hardware.
IF you can and have access to another computer, try downloading one of the Linux Live CD distros.
I'm partial to this one http://mate.linuxmint.com/download.php
Just grab the 32 bit version of the MATE desktop offering, burn the ISO to a USB thumb drive using Rufus or to a DVD using ImgBurn and boot your computer from that.
Do not install it, just stay in the "LIVE" environment and see if your computer seems to work OK.

Reaction score
So... you get the BIOS splash screen and general POST information??
IF so, when the bootstrap process hands off to the Windows boot loader, do you continue to see disk activity? Flashing HDD light on the computer?
I suppose the first thing you need to do is access your hardware.
IF you can and have access to another computer, try downloading one of the Linux Live CD distros.
I'm partial to this one http://mate.linuxmint.com/download.php
Just grab the 32 bit version of the MATE desktop offering, burn the ISO to a USB thumb drive using Rufus or to a DVD using ImgBurn and boot your computer from that.
Do not install it, just stay in the "LIVE" environment and see if your computer seems to work OK.

Reaction score
I get nothing on screen, no bios splash screen or general post info. I checked power supply and seems to be working ok with normal 3/5/12 volts via meter check. Removed battery and cleared CMOS and tried to update per ASUS manual but still no activity on screen or on the computer lights. Thanks for you response Noob Whisperer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As a last resort you might try...
unplugging it and removing the CMOS Battery again.
Then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds or so, just to discharge any residual energy in the capacitors.
Place the battery back in and reconnect it to the wall and power it up and see if that results in any changes.
IF not, then you've probably go a motherboard issue.
Are you hearing any beep codes at all?

Reaction score
i see this often ... sometime the computer start on the onboard video card try to plug a monitor to the onbard plug vga

maybe!

Reaction score
I hooked monitor up with VGA output from my PC video card. Performed the battery removal and CMOS jumper routine to remove stored bios info, all with power cord disconnected. Reconnected power, placed flash drive, with latest bios & bios updater programs in Fat format, into USB port & turned on PC. After a few moments, the bios program on monitor screen asked permission to run bios update! But I was unprepared with no wired keyboard and mouse readily at hand, so by the time I plugged such equipment in, the screen went blank and thus had to start all over. I have retraced by steps over ten times and no response by the PC on the monitor since the above freak chance happening. I'm still in the dark as to the cause. I will note that while the machine is running, the CPU fan is cooling the best I've seen so far: the CPU base is real cool as though its not running; normally after a short while, it is very warm to the touch. Would the board appear normal if the CPU failed, such as all fans and lights are active. Shouldn't the bios still perform by alerting to the situation? I have heard no beeps, but I wear hearing aids and normally have trouble noticing alarms. Thanks again fellows for your advice.

Reaction score
Finally checked memory modules (4 installed) and found one (8 GB) was bad by pulling all but one out and rotated each through single service in B1 slot. Replaced other three and my PC is back running at the races. ASUS P8P67LE has been a good board and am glad it wasn't necessarily at fault. Thanks for everyone's help and advice; hope I can return the favors with some help for someone. MarcusAurelius

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
hope I can return the favors with some help for someone
Actually you have helped, by sticking with your problem and keeping us updated on your progress and ultimate solution.
Thanks.
I get nothing on screen, no bios splash screen or general post info
I can believe that bad memory would have kept it from posting, but I would have thought that it would have been beeping like crazy.

Reaction score
memory often the problem sometime videocard... when you have spart pièces its always easier to troubleshoot !

so good to see you find it

Ask a Question