PC wont repair. Corrupted acpiex.sys

Reaction score
Ok. Got a problem. Boots up & trys to repair and cant repair the issue. Wont boot into Safe Mode.
It can find a restore file and I dont have a backup image. Looked in SrtTrail.txt and it says acpiex.sys is corrupted.

I have another system drive and I can access it and all files are there, just not bootable.

Any ideas?

Have tried:
bootrec.exe/rebuildbcd
bootrec.exe/fixmbr
bootrec.exe/fixboot

Thanks

Dave

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you know what the full error was, as that may direct us to the problem? It may be easier to take a photo of the screen with your phone (and then uploading it here) to save typing :).

Reaction score
Sorry about the delay. Screen directs you to SRTTAIL.txt for errors. see attached.
Hope someone can help. Getting close to reformatting and reloading. Ridiculous all because of one file.

Attachments

• SrtTrail.txt
    12.5 KB · Views: 822

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant the error code for SFC.exe /scannow which stopped it from completing - that should fix the corrupt file, so it'll help if we can get it to run.

Reaction score
No error code, unless I've done something wrong. Just a vague comment:

"Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation"

Attachments

• pc issue.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 1,146
Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It may be that SFC is trying to scan the Windows PE environment, instead of your Windows 10 install. Could you try running the following to see if that works please:

SFC /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=C:\Windows

If that fails, you could try a Windows 10 repair install, effectively doing an in-place upgrade to fix the problem.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did the new SFC option not work for you? I was hopefully that would do the trick. I would also run "CHKDSK C: /R" to see if there is a drive problem causing the corruption.

You could always try manually replacing the "c:\windows\system32\drivers\acpiex.sys" file, as you mention that you can access the drive from another PC. If your other PC is Windows 10, just copy it across to the original disk.

I've just realised that you can't do an in-place upgrade from outside Windows, which is a show stopper. The closest you can get is to do a new install, retaining some of your data. As you can access your data from another PC, I would make an image backup of this drive to make sure that you don't end up losing anything.

To begin, make a Windows 10 installation USB drive/DVD (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10) and then boot from that to access the advanced startup options screen:

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/advanced-startup-options.38/

Then click Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Keep my files. This will remove 3rd party apps and restore default settings to your Windows installation, but it'll keep your documents etc...

Ask a Question