Photos does not allow "Next" feature of left and right arrows

Reaction score
In using the "Photos" photo editing software of Windows 10, it normally provides a "Next" feature of left and right arrows at the left and right sides of the photo. However, some folders do not have this feature, and I'm wondering why. Is there an option that allows or removes this feature?

Reaction score
I don't think Folders allow it but files in a Folder should, probably have to change to a different Folder each time or copy all files to the same Folder..

Reaction score
Did the Windows Photo app ever have that feature? Mine doesn't, just the selection box on each photo for editing, exporting, add sound...Now my android phone has the feature you are looking for.

Reaction score
Lol (At my expense!)
As I read this thread, I thought I would have a look at mine.
I found that "Windows Photo" did not work. I never use it, as I have a better third party program. Anyway, I went into settings and did a "reset". The photo app in the start menu has now disappeared. Well, no tears, for me that is a good thing!

Later. Curiosity. I restored the App again, and had a quicky. I do have left and right arrows.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dave I believe (Uninstall/install) you have solved the OP problem.

Personally I never use the MS Photo app either. I too, was curious and opened the app last night in response to the OP.

Reaction score
LOL. Accidents will happen. But why do we still have to jump through these hoops

Reaction score
It's unfortunate, but MS don't seem to care when there are glitches with the app updates.
Maybe because most are third party providers? Users shouldn't have to go through the uninstall/install process, which doesn't always resolve the problems. I learned that lesson with the weather app. which is actually Bing? I had to wait for a cumulative update from MS before I could use it again. Uninstall/Reinstall unfortunately didn't solve the Bing update glitch.

Reaction score
I apologise to Microsoft, for the moment.
What I restored was the "Photo Viewer", which was withdrawn from Windows 10, in an earlier update. I am now searching for the app which replaced it "Photos".

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
In using the "Photos" photo editing software of Windows 10, it normally provides a "Next" feature of left and right arrows at the left and right sides of the photo. However, some folders do not have this feature, and I'm wondering why. Is there an option that allows or removes this feature?
Mine does. I open the photos app and for me I make sure I have the group tile checked/used. That box that has 9 little squares. Select on a group, that group opens up. No left and right arrows show at this point but if you hoover your mouse over the picture to where the arrows are, then left and right arrows appear and work as they should.

Reaction score
Ashampoo. I got it free, with full and regular updates, when I was an MVP

But.
I had to delve deep into my images, to find one before I removed "Photos"

But it has, on the sides, the left and right arrows. You can also select sideshow if you are in an album.
Perhaps the OP is thinking of the original Photo viewer?

Reaction score
Mine does. I open the photos app and for me I make sure I have the group tile checked/used. That box that has 9 little squares. Select on a group, that group opens up. No left and right arrows show at this point but if you hoover your mouse over the picture to where the arrows are, then left and right arrows appear and work as they should.
Bassfisher Thanks for the update. I just did what you said select group > hover mouse, still no left/right scroll arrows? Not to worry I don't use the app.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No left and right arrows show at this point but if you hoover your mouse over the picture to where the arrows are, then left and right arrows appear and work as they should.
I noticed that too.
The navigation arrows do not appear unless you actually move your cursor to the left or right of the photo in the frame, to where the arrows should be.
AND
If it is the first picture in the folder there will be no left (back) arrow, only a right (forward) arrow.

Reaction score
Lol (At my expense!)
As I read this thread, I thought I would have a look at mine.
I found that "Windows Photo" did not work. I never use it, as I have a better third party program. Anyway, I went into settings and did a "reset". The photo app in the start menu has now disappeared. Well, no tears, for me that is a good thing!

Later. Curiosity. I restored the App again, and had a quicky. I do have left and right arrows.

View attachment 8124
Yes but NOW you are missing the EDIT button. I want my WIndows Photos app with previous/next arrows AND the edit button BACK. I liked editing a photo and then hitting the right arrow to move forward to next page/pic . My arrows disappeared. I am copying each book into my library into a PDF file. I scanned well over 35 books scanning each book page as a JPG page and all JPG pages into one folder. Then I used WIndows Photo app (NOT VIEWER) to edit each page (move page in or out or up or down) and then saved changed and arrowed over to next pic. NOW suddenly after doing this for months,,,the previous/next arrows disappeared or I can't edit on one pic or the arrows only work for a some photos/pages but not others. I was truly nice also to be able to QUICKLY arrrow over each book page to the end to ensure they were in numbered order and to be able to stop and edit. With my WIndows Photo app NOT have properly working previous/next arrows....I am looking for something other than windows. I tried WIndows Photo viewer and it is worthless for what I am doing. WIndows really screwed up.

Ask a Question