Pictures on login screen

Reaction score
Not a tecchie question but is there any way of finding out where the fab pictures that appear on start-up are located? I'm fascinated by them and would love to know where they are so I can go and look for more!

Reaction score
you mean these: C:\WINDOWS\Web ?
or are you talking about Windows Spotbright (the pictures from the lock screen)?? these can be downloaded via an app named "SpotBright" from the Store (its free)...

Reaction score
You need to first, in the file explorer, to unhide hidden folders.
Then the path is users -username - Appdata - Local - Packages - Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy
Local state - Assets
There is a long string of files with meaningless titles. For me ( I have read it doesn't work for all) I right click any of these and "open with" select Paint and there is your picture.
Some are not pictures, so you may have to work through the list to find the ones you want to look at.

Reaction score
Some can be found here:
All can be found under:
Open File Explorer and navigate to the Assets folder. You can do this by pasting the following address into File Explorer's address bar:
%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Assets
The files will be blank so you’ll have to copy these files & paste then somewhere else.
To change all the file extensions at once, open the folder you saved the files in and click File > Open command prompt > Open command prompt.
A Command Prompt window with the file path to your files will open. In this window, type ren * *.jpg and hit Enter. All the files will now be JPEG files.

Or for just one or two you can right click on them individually & choose rename then rename them with a .jpg or .bmp extension & then the photo will appear. This is easier if you check this folder when you see a photo you like on the lock screen as you can just check that day & the previous days’ entries.

Reaction score
Pretty much as I posted. I was following another posted suggestion similar to many all over the web!

But, reading the op again, I find there is a much easier way. Better to look in C:\Windows/Web. The whole gang are there - background pictures as well.

Last edited:

Ask a Question