Pinned Files To Taskbar Icons

Reaction score
Does W10 allow pinning files to any Taskbar icons, specifially EXCEL and WORD and /or any others. I could do this in W7 but lost my pinned-file capability with the new W10 upload. I used it quite often but now at a loss .. so far do not like W10.

Reaction score
Hi.

You're right. This doesn't seen to work as you'd expect. I would expect to be able to just drag the file and it would work. It seems to just drag the program exe and give you a list on right-click. This is fine if the file has been used recently but if it hasn't then it will only launch the program.

There is a rather dirty workaround you can use which will do what you need.

I assume you want to attach a launch an "open" operation to the program and file. This means that you could click a taskbar button and your desired Excel sheet comes up in Excel.

If this is what you want to do then I'd suggest the following:

First (assuming we want this operation for Excel), you need to find the program - Excel.exe This will be found in your programs folder on drive C:. Do a search for this and go to the folder. Now right-click the excel.exe file and generate a shortcut. Place the shortcut on your desktop.

Go to the desktop and right-click the shortcut. Select Properties. To do this, I'm going to assume your logged in user name is MIKE and the file is called REPORT.XLSX and that file is on your desktop. It could be anywhere - you just have to modify the properties to suit,

Go to the Target box in the shortcut and modify the entry in the target box to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE" "C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\Report.xlsx"

Your Office program may not of course be where mine is - but the first part (the bit includes Excel.exe) will be correct as Windows generated it. You only need to add the second part. Press the APPLY button, then OK. The quote marks "" should be there! Test the shortcut. It should do what you expect.

If it does then rename it to what you like and drag it onto your taskbar. Simple!

Leave the shortcut on your desktop so that you can modify and rename it should you need to do this with any other files you need to open in Excel. Once the shortcut is modified you can then add another one to the taskbar. Word shortcuts can be generated in the same way.

As I said, it's a dirty way to do this but it does work - but you really should be able to just drag the file shortcut onto the taskbar. You may need to unlock the taskbar first but normally you won't need to.

Hope this helps anyway.

Reaction score
Hi.

You're right. This doesn't seen to work as you'd expect. I would expect to be able to just drag the file and it would work. It seems to just drag the program exe and give you a list on right-click. This is fine if the file has been used recently but if it hasn't then it will only launch the program.

There is a rather dirty workaround you can use which will do what you need.

I assume you want to attach a launch an "open" operation to the program and file. This means that you could click a taskbar button and your desired Excel sheet comes up in Excel.

If this is what you want to do then I'd suggest the following:

First (assuming we want this operation for Excel), you need to find the program - Excel.exe This will be found in your programs folder on drive C:. Do a search for this and go to the folder. Now right-click the excel.exe file and generate a shortcut. Place the shortcut on your desktop.

Go to the desktop and right-click the shortcut. Select Properties. To do this, I'm going to assume your logged in user name is MIKE and the file is called REPORT.XLSX and that file is on your desktop. It could be anywhere - you just have to modify the properties to suit,

Go to the Target box in the shortcut and modify the entry in the target box to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE" "C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\Report.xlsx"

Your Office program may not of course be where mine is - but the first part (the bit includes Excel.exe) will be correct as Windows generated it. You only need to add the second part. Press the APPLY button, then OK. The quote marks "" should be there! Test the shortcut. It should do what you expect.

If it does then rename it to what you like and drag it onto your taskbar. Simple!

Leave the shortcut on your desktop so that you can modify and rename it should you need to do this with any other files you need to open in Excel. Once the shortcut is modified you can then add another one to the taskbar. Word shortcuts can be generated in the same way.

As I said, it's a dirty way to do this but it does work - but you really should be able to just drag the file shortcut onto the taskbar. You may need to unlock the taskbar first but normally you won't need to.

Hope this helps anyway.

Reaction score
After digging a bit further, I found a solution (not as good as W7 Pinning to taskbar icon) that is less time consuming than posting shortcuts. After I opened the EXCEL application, I clicked on the "CUSTOMIZE QUICK ACCESS TOOLBAR" at the top left of sheet and just right of the EXCEL icon. I then selected "Open Recent File" after the drop-down and the icon for this feature appears adjacent to Do/Undo icons. I clicked on this "Open Recent File" icon and all recent files appear with a "PIN" option beside each. so I can now PIN my favorites (I have prox 12 or so I use daily). Works the same for WORD or any other program where I have previously opened files. This is slower as it requires another step but better than nothing. Jury still out on W10 in my mind. >> MGG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just pin Excel to my taskbar, and.....
Right click it anytime I want to open any of my previously opened (recent) spreadsheets.

Reaction score
I just pin Excel to my taskbar, and.....
Right click it anytime I want to open any of my previously opened (recent) spreadsheets.
There is a 5-7 second delay when I do this (which is why it appeared to be unresponsive).. In W7 my cursor activated the PINNED list without right-clicking. However the files still can not be moved from UNPINNED to PINNED in this process, which prompted my original question since I can remove files but not add. If you can you add to PIN LIST I don't understand why my difficulty unless you originally began with W10 vs doing an upgrade.

Ask a Question