SOLVED Pinning programs to taskbar and opening multiple copies

Reaction score
On my old windows 10 machine, the taskbar looked like the attached File

Please note the 5 strange looking icons on the taskbar to the right of the Task View. Note also, please, that they are repeated on the desktop as LiWr, Irfan, Exp, Chrome and GaryStrt.

LiWr stands for Libreoffice Writer, and when I left-click (NOT right click!) on the same icon in the taskbar, a new empty Libreoffice Writer page pops up on my desktop, which I can fill in as I please. If I need a second copy of Libreoffice Writer, I can again left-click on the icon and a second copy pops up, independent of the 1st.

In this manner, I can simultaneously open as many independent copies of Libreoffice Writer as I need.

As you can see, I’ve done this before, but I forgot the method. The notable thing was that I was limited in my choice of ICON

Does anyone know how to make this happen?

Reaction score
First. It would be a good idea if you erased your email showing on the taskbar. Publishing on an open forum can have consequences. I have alerted the staff for you, should you no longer be able to edit your port.

But, this is you second posting, precisely like the first. You have explained how you open multiple copies, but then say you have forgotten how you used to do it?
What exactly do you wish to know/do?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, you did suggest something useful, but not what I wanted. There are many, many good ways of getting to separate copies of a program from an icon on the taskbar by right-clicking it and then left-clicking the pop-up. You illustrated one of those many good methods. But I want to put an icon on the taskbar that can bring up as many copies of the program, be it a browser or wordprocessor or anything else, by ONE left-click

You have explained how you open multiple copies
No, sir, I showed what I did in the past. I don't remember how I did it. I'm simply asking if someone else knows the trick

If posting an email is against the rules, thanks for telling me. Let's see if I can remove the offending email!

DeskTopPix.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Posting your own email address is not against any forum rules - just a bad idea.

Reaction score
I never really found an answer to this question, but on another Windows 10 forum, I found something good enough. If I want to use a taskbar icon that points to, say, Firefox, for the first Firefox, I simply [Left Click]. If I need second instance of Firefox, instead of just [Left Click], I must instead [SHIFT] [Left Click]

Reaction score
I never really found an answer to this question, but on another Windows 10 forum, I found something good enough. If I want to use a taskbar icon that points to, say, Firefox, for the first Firefox, I simply [Left Click]. If I need second instance of Firefox, instead of just [Left Click], I must instead [SHIFT] [Left Click]
The right click didn't work for you?:confused:

Ask a Question