Precautions to take while updating from 20h2 to 21h2

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm updating from windows 10 20h2 to 21h2 on my laptop. My laptop is Dell Vostro 15 3500, i5 11thGen with McAfee Antivirus.

Will updating cause any problems like removing my installed programs on C drive? Will McAfee antivirus cause any problems while updating?

Should i take any precautions or just let it be?

Reaction score
My wife has exactly the same computer. She is at a total loss when it comes to anything computer related, so I have her on automatic updates. Whilst I am here as a backup, should anything go wrong, until now there has been no problem at all and she is totally up to date.

Reaction score
The only precaution I use is assuring I have a second/backup copy of any data I don't want to lose, usually on a second drive such as a NAS, USB HDD, USB SSD, USB Thumb drive, etc. And I check for updates on the second Tuesday of each month to see if there's a new one available but otherwise let the automatic run as needed.

Reaction score
I would first uninstall McAffe - completely. Third party anti-malware tools can (and do) cause all sorts of problems when installing software, with a Windows upgrade it's bound to shoot you in the foot.

Then run a dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth command before upgrading. If it reports component store errors found then run a dism /online /cleanup-image /restore health command and reboot. Once you know the component store is clean then run an sfc /scannow command to check and repair critical system files.

If you have any unusual devices connected then unplug them first. If you have any software installed that was not Windows 10 certified then I would uninstall it - especially if you used compatibility mode or a registry hack to install it.

You need to be sure that your 20H2 system is completely clean and as standard as you can get before upgrading to 21H1 in place.

FWIW I always clean install each new version of Windows. It leads to a trouble-free and reliable system - and it doesn't take that long once you are experienced at doing a clean install.

Reaction score
Mcafee will, almost without doubt, cause a hiccup if you upgrade. As said, if it is convenient to you, a clean install is the way to go, but the upgrade to which you refer should not give any problems.
FWIW. Defender, the built in antivirus, has a higher rating currently than Mcafee..

Ask a Question