Prepairing for a new computer

Reaction score
Any time now I should take delivery of a replacment for my 2-in-1 Tablet which after a too short working life now has an unrepairable SSD. The replacement, a Cube iWork Ultimate 10.1, is very similar to my dead Quantum View as I am sold on the hybrid form factor (excuse the jargon). But despite being at the low end of the market it is an upgrade in a number of respects (except the cameras) so I wondered if someone with experience could comment on what differences in performance, etc. I could experience, along with any dos and donts. I am going to have a lot to do so I want to be at least to some extent prepared.

The new 2-in-1 will be

dual boot with both Windows 10 and Android Lollipop installed --- when I first launch will I find updates installing themselves automatically, in particular Windows Anniversary and Android Marshmallow? I know this will depend on Settings, but is automatic update set as default? Or, has MS paused the update anyway?

64 bit not 32 bit OS, with 4 GB instead of 2 GB RAM ---- I understand my 32 bit software will still work OK but I will not get the benefit of 64 bit until I start installing 64 bit apps / programs. What are the benefits?

64 GB storage not 32 GB ---- a major factor in my buying decision, it is one of the few changes I understand quite well, in terms of storage I will no longer have a 'small device'

although it has USB 2 ports there is one micro port which is (claimed to be) USB 3 and USB C, but some users say it only has USB 2 charging power and data transfer performance. Some machines dont have USB C. There has been some confusion about this due partly to changes in specifications. Depending on the specs of the machine am I likely to be needing some different adapters/cables?

I must emphasise that I am not at all 'a power user' (or I would be buying a more highly specified machine) and despite years of experience (starting when the Sinclair Spectrum was launched!) my technical competance is very limited and dependant on the help generously given by this and other forums. Some comments on just one or two of the issues above would be appreciated.

Ask a Question