SOLVED Pressing left click on mouse right clicks but only on certain programs (i.e. web browser, start menu, search bar)

Reaction score
Just within the past few days I have had an issue where pressing left-click on my mouse will right click when using chrome, Edge, etc. Also, when I click on start menu or search bar it does the same thing but constantly like right-clicks even though I am not pressing left or right click on the mouse. I tried uninstalling the mouse drivers to see if that would fix it. I have a razer mouse plugged into a Asus gaming laptop running Windows 10. I unplugged the mouse to see if it was just the Razer mouse and that did not help either as the mousepad on the laptop did the same thing. Anyone familiar with this issue? In games and programs like Word, Powerpoint, etc. the left mouse button works fine. This is what I get when I left click into the address bar, see pic below.

Screenshot 2021-02-11 212308.png

Reaction score
Hi Tony,,

check in Control Panel > Mouse and see if you have "Click Lock" switched on?. ;)

1613147608817.png

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,

So I checked that and even tried switching primary and secondary buttons. Nothing was working. I even unplugged my mouse to see if it was just my mouse or both my mouse and laptop pad. Nothing. However, I am not sure what fixed it but, I unplugged all USB devices and for whatever reason it worked fine after that. Even when I plugged them back in is working fine. Wondering if it had something to do with that. I know in the past I had a HP that a known issue that if you had too many USB ports used that sometimes upon starting it would freeze up and the fix was to unplug everything but the mouse and keyboard and let it boot then plug in the rest of the cords. A pain in the ass needless to say! lol Thanks for the help though!

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

glad you got it fixed and I know what you mean about odd things happening on computers as i had some trouble with a Zip7 file recently!. Thanks for the feedback as it may help others. :)

Ask a Question