SOLVED Preview Build 18362

Reaction score
There was someone in the other forum who mentioned Microsoft had already signed off on the RTM... Boy, did he get attacked....

I hope this CU does not do for the build that the one they gave the slow ring did... !

I have now set my two primary systems to wait on the features update for 7 days. I am a little worried based on Microsoft's recent track record...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can't say that I blame you.
I remember they were severely criticized last time for not using the Release Preview Ring before making the disaster release available (the one that they pulled).

Maybe I'm taking the fact that it is called "The Release Preview Ring" too literally, but I would think that it might be the last stop testing ground, before any public release, otherwise.....
Maybe it needs a new name.

Reminds me of that commercial where the little girls says "My mom washes the dishes before she puts them in the dishwasher..... SO, what does the dishwasher do"??

Reaction score
Reminds me of that commercial where the little girls says "My mom washes the dishes before she puts them in the dishwasher..... SO, what does the dishwasher do"??
Oh, that's easy. The dishwasher is just to sterilize the dishes. I still clean them off before putting them in.. :) Old habits die hard...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Evidently it also included a Servicing Stack Update as well.

Capture1.PNG

Reaction score
Windows update just tried to install the same old crap that has not worked several times in the past and just called it release preview. I let this proceed on my best Toshiba network drive to give it some chance. Waste of time. A pile of feces is a pile of feces by any other name! Gets to the 60% on the final update sequence, sits there for a while and then gives that wonderful error "one or more components are missing" and stops the update. I have lost all trust of Microsoft. I wish they had an iso of 18342.8 that works but I will continue cloning this to all of my back up drives. Any good programmer would tell you what was missing and then download it but not this malware.

Reaction score
Hi Ted. Quite honestly, I think you have a hardware or incompatible software problem, when I read of your failures! As Microsoft warned, at the start of their infamous insider program, NO guarantees, you use the material at your own risk..etc.
If you look at my post
You can see that we are not all so unfortunate.
One thing you could try, as suggested in the linked thread, is to make a clean install of an earlier build, and try the updates from that point?

Reaction score
@TedWilt Hey Ted, what error did your setupdiag.exe utility show? In case you forgot, the link is again below.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just testing the waters for the next update Tuesday coming a week from tomorrow.
So much for that idea.....
Just got this same update on my non-insider machine this morning, so....
Assuming it includes the same servicing stack update, may be back to this
may be the strongest signal I've seen so far that *might* indicate something close to an RTM

Reaction score
Just got this same update on my non-insider machine this morning, so..
I got both also .. so RTM in 2 to 7 days for the public?? The machine I have delayed the featured updates on is not yet getting those updates.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
so RTM in 2 to 7 days for the public??
Back in the day, we used to draw a distinction between RTM (Release to Manufacturer) and GA (General Availability) to the wider public as there was often a period of weeks if not months between the two events.
Now it seems they happen almost simultaneously with only the briefest period of time when in, some "Insiders" may have the actual final product installed by virtue of the Fast Ring, although in most cases no one actually knows for certain as there never seems to be any proclaimation or even a vague notification from Microsoft.

It's like a laughable guessing game in which, anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's, so......
When YOU know.
Please tell me
I would be most grateful. :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Another update (to both Fast AND Slow rings)
UPDATE 4/4: We have released Build 18362.30 (KB4497464) to Windows Insiders in the Fast AND Slow rings. If you have updated to Build 18356.21 – this build will be offered. Build 18362.30 includes the following fixes:
Fixes??
  • We fixed an issue where AAD users were not able to sign-in after updating to 19H1 on AAD-joined PC not enrolled into MDM.
  • We fixed an issue where users were unable to enable\disable .NET Framework or other optional feature- on-demand (FODs) after installing recent Cumulative Updates.
  • We fixed an issue where a user’s PC may get into a unbootable state after installing a Cumulative Update and then installing a optional feature-on-demand (FOD).

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
There was a blog post this morning where Microsoft was describing changes to the update process to allow users more control in the May 2019 build upgrade. I don't remember the exact words but I think they are blowing smoke. If it will really be another month before the public build is released, to me, that means they have run into quite a problem.

The Fast Ringers will go crazy if no new builds are put out in the next four weeks... ! But like you say, we can only wait to see.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The Fast Ringers will go crazy if no new builds are put out in the next four weeks
OR
We might assume, if all they do is issue cumulative update after cumulative update....
The build is the build
Reminds me of the old Laugh-In, Arte Johnson skit

So we'll have fast ring machines stuck at the current Version with only CUs to update the build number
AND
Preview Release ring machine still stuck on the current public build testing CUs for that

Remind me again.... what does the dishwasher actually do?

I suppose when I start seeing bits for 19H2 on my fast ring machine I will know that something is afoot.

Reaction score
There was a blog post this morning where Microsoft was describing changes to the update process to allow users more control in the May 2019 build upgrade. I don't remember the exact words but I think they are blowing smoke. If it will really be another month before the public build is released, to me, that means they have run into quite a problem.

The Fast Ringers will go crazy if no new builds are put out in the next four weeks... ! But like you say, we can only wait to see.

you talk about this?

Reaction score
you talk about this?
Yes. I cannot conceive of why Microsoft does not understand how much trouble the updates cause for folks who actually use their systems for work and have essential data they do not want to lose. They play this game of guessing when the new build release will happen which means folks who do backups just before, may have to do several to stay current when the release does happen.

They really need to find a way to make the release date known ahead of time. Something like giving a release date of May 15th and allowing seekers to access the update two weeks prior.... Maybe I will keep my systems on the 7 day delay which will allow me to have prior notice of an impending upgrade build install...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I particularly love the way they introduce these so called "features"....
Download and install now option provides users a separate control to initiate the installation of a feature update on eligible devices with no known key blocking compatibility issues.
Like none of us are old enough to remember when we could actually choose something even better "Download but let me choose when to install" or words to that effect.

Like we're suppose to be impressed that they are giving back something just short of something we already had in previous versions of Windows.

Reaction score
Finally got 18362.30 installed and working on my oldest hd which still has Edge installed but not using. All of my other drives have Edge removed! I assume Microsoft is forcing everyone to have Edge installed whether using it or not. This is risky business (Monopoly). Every time I boot I get this message
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787

Also no updates will install.

Reaction score
I dont't get any similar messages. Why did you remove it? Just don't use it. Microsft, (only in my experience, Possibly), are
not forcing you to use anything. The offer is there for the use of a preinstalled, default, ( and quite good, Imho) browser. certainly suits me, I dont need to look around for something else to use! I.E. , is, of course, still available but aes an overload of options.
Maybe someone can advise as to why you are getting that message to repair your windows???

Reaction score
still has Edge installed but not using.
Anyone who removes a default Win 10 utility is asking for problems. If the update process needs to confirm the current install, it may balk if such apps are not present.

You have had comments regarding the shell info class messages. But, as far as I know, you have not responded. Enter the phrase (shell32.dll,-21787) in the search box and see if anything shows up.

Reaction score
When I joined the Technical Preview "back then" which got renamed to Insider Preview and the Fast Ring there was quite a warning NOT to install on a production machine or only machine as with all BETA/Test software there will be issues/problems. To that end I have the IP on 2 older desktops that are kept up-to-date and only used to try some programs to see if they still work, one in particular that does is Microsoft Office 2000 except I don't install Outlook as I think it will cause the most issues.

As for included software, the N version came about mostly because of other countries bending to complaints from competing programmers such as with video and music [and other things] that accused Microsoft of shutting them out, being a monopoly. And I think there is or was another more-restrictive version named N Korea.

Ask a Question