Printer access denied

Reaction score
I have 2 computers.One runs windows 7,the other has windows 10.The 7 ,I have had for a long time,works great. The 10 I up dated from 8 in November, but have had the computer for about 5 years.Both are Dells. On windows 10 I do not use cortana or edge.I have both computers networked and a Canon Pixma ix6500 printer connected to the windows 7 computer. Have never had a problem printing from windows 10 until 2 days ago. Now it get a box telling me "access is denied". I can click on the printer and am told to enter my name and password. Never had to do that either. I can print from the windows 7 computer that the printer is connected to and can move files from the 7 to the 10 computer but not the other way as I once could.What are my options? Do I need to install the printer on the windows 10 computer? Could the change for needing a password be from an update for windows 10 ?Any help is appreciated. I may not have enough information here, but at 86 I really dont know all the inner workings of computers. I have not installed or added anything new to either computer. I use malwarebytes and Avast and also Spybot.

Reaction score
1. Click on Start
2. Click on Control Panel
3. Clck on Printers and Devices
4. Right click on the printer
5. Click on Printer Properties
6. Click on Device Settings Tab.
7. Click on the Settings button.
8. Type in ID and password
9. Uncheck the Confirm box.
10. Click OK i hope this helps good luck

Reaction score
1. Click on Start
2. Click on Control Panel
3. Clck on Printers and Devices
4. Right click on the printer
5. Click on Printer Properties
6. Click on Device Settings Tab.
7. Click on the Settings button.
8. Type in ID and password
9. Uncheck the Confirm box.
10. Click OK i hope this helps good luck
I cannot click on printer properties. I get the box that says it cannot be displayed. Access denied.

Reaction score
Try installing the drivers for the printer again on the Win 10 machine. A recent update from MS has played havoc with printer drivers as well as drivers for ethernet/wifi adapters.

Reaction score
yes get the disk that came with your pc and hope its there or you need to download the drivers from the manifacture which i need the make and model of the printer

Reaction score
yes get the disk that came with your pc and hope its there or you need to download the drivers from the manifacture which i need the make and model of the printer

The printer is a Canon pixma ix65000. But I think the driver is ok.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF out of the blue, you are suddenly getting "Access denied" when you weren't before, I would suspect an update to your third party security suite(s) might be responsible.
My suggestion would be to completely uninstall (remove) both Avira and Spybot and reboot and see if your printer access magically returned.
Access denied would typically indicate you are attempting to use a network resource without the proper username and password. I've seen security suites produce the same error incorrectly.
Worse case.... remove the printer from the Windows 10 machine.
Go back and unshare and reshare it on the Windows 7 machine, then try adding it back using the add printer wizard on the windows 10 machine.
IF it sees it and prompts for credentials, make sure fill the authentication prompt text boxes correctly.
MachineName\UserName
Password

Where MachineName is the name of the Windows 7 machine (followed by a backslash) and UserName is the name of a user on the Windows 7 machine and Password is the password for that user on the Windows 7 machine

Reaction score
I uninstalled spybot and am able to access the printer properties etc, but I cannot get the printer to print. It comes up and I go through all the settings of paper size etc and it says it is printing, but nothing happens.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Did you go through removing it from the Windows 10 machine and then using the add printer wizard to install it again.
As the printer is shared from a Windows 7 machine, the driver may not function as it should, you may have to actually acquire the latest software package (hopefully for windows 10) and install it on the Windows 10 machine.
NOTE: There may also be a difference in the driver version for bit architecture (32 or 64 bit).

Reaction score
I did not remove it from widows 10. I will try that. I appreciate all the help. My thanks. Hope this works

Reaction score
Well that did not work. If I uninstall this printer from both windows , will that take all the networking out also, so I can start a new group? maybe that would get me back to using the printer from both windows. I have 2 other printers installed that work fine on both. Would that change these 2 also??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well that did not work
Are you still getting an access denied error message?
Have you gone to the Canon support site and download and installed the latest full featured driver package for your printer on the Windows 10 machine?
Is the Windows 10 machine 32 or 64 bit?
Can you access other shared files or folders on the machine hosting the printer from the machine that cannot connect to the printer?

Reaction score
I am not getting the denied error. I can open the properties and the printer itself.
I did download the latest drivers.
Windows 10 is 64 bit
I can access everything on the windows 7 where the printer is installed.
However now on the windows 10 machine I have 3 same Canon ix6500 printer icons. Don't now where that came from.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
However now on the windows 10 machine I have 3 same Canon ix6500 printer icons. Don't now where that came from.
Sounds like a good time to start over on the Win 10 machine.
Remove all instances of the install printer from Devices and printers.
Check the programs and features applet in the Control Panel and uninstall any associated software.
Reboot the computer and start again
Run the software package and point it at the shared printer.

Reaction score
Try this method
CP Network and sharing>Change Advanced Sharing Settings.
Privet (current profile)
Select ON network discovery.
Check Turn ON network discovery
Check Turn ON automatic setup of network connected devices
Check Turn ON File and Printer sharing
Allow Windows to manage home group connections.

Reaction score
I have uninstalled the printer from both macihnes. Works fine on the one it is installed on. The windows 10 does show the printer as accessible, but when I select that one to print from the windows 10 , I get this error. "Printer couldn't print user name." Do I have to give it a different name?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you take a screenshot or just a snip of that error message and attach it to your next post?

Ask a Question