Printer access denied

Reaction score
Not sure how to take a snip of the error message. It is a little black tab the shows up at the bottom right on windows 10. Now it says Printer in error state(in white) and below canon ix6500 series in error state(all in gray)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You can hold down the Windows Logo key, bottom left of keyboard and strike the print screen key and that will produce an image of whatever is on your monitor at the time, which will be placed in your pictures folder inside a folder called screenshots.

In the mean time....
Do you have the option to physically connect the printer to the Windows 10 machine and see if it will print without problems, so we can determine if it is a driver issue or something to do with the communication link.
I assume that it is connect to the other machine by a USB cord, can you just switch the connection over to a USB port on the Win10 machine.

Reaction score
Here is the screen shot. I will try connecting to the other computer Screenshot (1).png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The error in the image is showing that the printer is trying to communicate on LPT1.
I wouldn't expect that to be the case. I would have suspected, in the case of a direct connection, for the printer to be using a USB interface cable and in the case of a network connection for it to be using a network path or "Virtual" USB Port.

Can you confirm what this printer uses to connect to the machine?
IS it using a USB cable?
OR
IS it using an older style parallel port connector which would be an LPT port?

In either case, have you attempted to connect it directly to the Windows 10 computer?
In the case of an old style parallel port connection I suspect that, that might be impossible, as most newer computers no longer come with a parallel port connector.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I connected the printer to windows 10 and it works just fine. I went to the windows 7 computer and got the error message that the "printer is off line" Yes it uses USB port. As I said at the beginning, it was working just fine, before I got the denied error.So I'm guessing the port is not the problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.
Re-attach it back to the Windows 7 computer.
On the Windows 10 computer go to Devices and Printers and right click any and all instances or the iX6500 printer and remove them.
Close the Devices and Printers window.
Open File Explorer
In the left navigation pane near the bottom expand "Network"
Select the Windows 7 machine that is hosting the shared printer.
That should produce a list of the shares on the Windows 7 machine in the right pane.
Right click the shared printer and choose "connect" or "attach" (can't remember the exact word or wording).
IF you are prompted for credentials at any point you will have to input
MachineName\Username
Password
Where "MachineName" is the NetBIOS name of the computer sharing the printer (as displayed in the network list in the left navigation pane) followed by a backslash ( \ ) AND "UserName" is the name of a user on the Windows 7 machine (typically the account UserName you use to log onto the Windows 7 machine) AND the Password for that user on that computer.

What happens when you go at it that way?

Reaction score
Screenshot (2).png This is what I get. I see it has my old email address and if I had a password I do not remember it. Can I go somewhere and change that?

Reaction score
scrool downand look carfull you need to check mark the remove password in network but that leves the machine open to anyone that access your network well they still need to get true your network first so just uncheck the password sharing off

Attachments

• password on network.png
    password on network.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 952
Reaction score
Not sure I know what you mean. There is no "remove password" under network. Only the two computer names that show up

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
View attachment 2963 This is what I get. I see it has my old email address and if I had a password I do not remember it. Can I go somewhere and change that?
As I've already stated above.... the format for how you respond to that credential prompt is as I've already indicated.
Evidently the NetBIOS name is
MARYDEE-PC\UserName (surely you know a user name that is being used on that machine and the password for that user name on that PC, so just click the "Use another account" and fill in the boxes as needed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The network resources are on a Windows 7 computer. Generally speaking a "Microsoft Account" is not used. Microsoft accounts came into broader use with the introduction of Windows 8.
So the account you need to use is the local account that is probably used daily to log on to the MaryDee-PC computer and that password.
MARYDEE-PC\UserName
Password

Reaction score
Well I have done all of the above. and still get the "printer is in error stage". On the either computer, I have never used a name and password to log in. I just boot the computers. I don't know why all this has happened, but I'm done. I can still print from each computer,it was just nice to have the choice all together. I do appreciate all the help and suggestions that you have given. It was so nice of you to stick with me through all of this.Maybe someday it will fix itself. But, thank you sooo much for trying.

Ask a Question