Printer failure

Reaction score
Updated on my HP Pavilion and got lots of problem. The worst at the moment is the HP printer's refusal to print in colour. Yes I've tried everything - uninstalling , reinstalling, downloading drivers, changing plugs even. Nothing it stubbornly continues printing in B&W. I try the wizard, the HP doctor absolutely zilch. These programmes even stupidly advise me to "try a test print" where obviously it prints a sheet in colour but refuses to print from my files. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Ah, yes, the "black box". Well, I can see one issue right now that may be a stumbling block. It looks like their drivers only go up through Windows 7. You may have to install Win 8 drivers by finding a similar , newer product from HP.
My newer HP wireless works fine, BUT my older HP wired printer...I had to cheat a little on that one.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
These programmes even stupidly advise me to "try a test print" where obviously it prints a sheet in colour
When you attempt to print a test page using only the Windows Property page for your printer, does the Windows 10 test page also have the Blue printer Icon in the top right and the Blue Text "Windows Printer Test Page" on the resultant page?

Reaction score
When you attempt to print a test page using only the Windows Property page for your printer, does the Windows 10 test page also have the Blue printer Icon in the top right and the Blue Text "Windows Printer Test Page" on the resultant page?

No, I can't see anything like that. It prints two perfect pages, colour and b&w. At the top the words Skew Indicator, and the heading Printer Hardware Information. It simply refuses to print in colour from any file.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Would you mind printing a Windows test page?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
And does it contain the blue color as I described above?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That would suggest that Windows does not know that the attached printer is capable of color printing.
I think you need to completely uninstall the printer, unplug the USB cable, remove it from device manager, including drivers, make sure that it is removed from Devices and Printers in Control Panel and then make sure that you have removed any associated software / driver packages that are installed specifically to support this printer.
Often HP software includes an uninstaller as part of their software package. Obviously the driver package that is currently installed is not compatible with Windows 10, however......

Windows 10 does provide native support for that printer and you will need to evoke Windows Updates to acquire it during the printer installation wizard when you connect the printer after rebooting from a complete uninstall.

When you go through the add printer wizard click the Windows Update button and then you should see this

HP Photosmart B109a-m.JPG

Reaction score
If this works and I think it will, later you'll probably get a dialog from Windows whining about how windows has only installed minimal support for the printer and that you should use software from Hp.... Ignoring that will do no harm until HP actually offer W10 support themselves.

I have had the same with my HP 7520 all-in-one...but it works fine with WIndows drivers.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have an
HP Officejet 4500 G510n-z
That supports both Wireless as well as a USB connection and I have not been able to get the Software Package from HP for that specific printer to install properly and work at all.
I have been using the native drivers from Microsoft since Windows 8.1 and it prints and scans fine, although I have to use the native Windows Fax and Scan software and sort of miss the slightly more robust HP Solution.

Reaction score
If this works and I think it will, later you'll probably get a dialog from Windows whining about how windows has only installed minimal support for the printer and that you should use software from Hp.... Ignoring that will do no harm until HP actually offer W10 support themselves.

I have had the same with my HP 7520 all-in-one...but it works fine with WIndows drivers.

Thanks for the suggestion. Still trying. Can't find the Windows Drivers. Will keep trying.

Ask a Question