SOLVED Printer not working

Reaction score
My wife upgraded her Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10 about a month or so ago and everything has been fine until this past weekend when she tried to print. The printer was old so I gave it to my daughter and went to get my wife and I a new wireless printer. (HP Officejet Pro 8610). The printer is on the network and works fine with my daughters Windows 7 machine, our android phone and iphone and my Debian machine.
On her laptop when I try to print from notepad I get "A StartDocPrinter call was not issued" and when I try to print from Wordpad I get "Could not start print job" and if I try to print from a browser I don't get any errors but nothing happens(no printer icon or printer action).
I have tried to remove the printer, updating drivers, restarting print spooler, restarting laptop, used the "HP Print Doctor" software and everything else I know to try. If I use the HP software to print a diagnostic page, it prints fine. I have tried searching this issue without much success(other than outdated documents that aren't relevant to my problem.) Any and all information is much appreciated and thank you!
Below is a link to a pic where I have printer status page open and trying to print.
http://devcore.us.to/new/printer.jpg

Reaction score
You installed the printer software from HP on the laptop? Preferably after checking the HP web site for any updates.

One thing you might try. Uninstall the printer from the laptop. Include going to Control panel and uninstalling any HP stuff that you can see. Reboot. Connect it USB. Install from the HP software. If it works completely now. Put it back on the network and reinstall. Should work now. Set the network version to be default.

Another thing. Do all the uninstall as above Have Windows search for a new printer. If the printer is advertising itself on the network, which it should if it is working from other machines then windows should find it and offer to install with simple drivers. That usually works.

There are other ways. If the 8610 can be a Web Service printer you could turn that on. The in settings-printers search for a new printer and you should find the web services printer. try that. Works on my wireless HP

Reaction score
I notice the HP Direct is mentioned on the error message. If I understand that it is used to print directly to the printer from a mobile device.

Is that what you are using from the computer to print? Would it need a special driver if you are? Does the IP address you show reasonable for your network if you are printing through a router.

I also found the link below. It does not appear to reference Windows 10 but it might be related so I will include the link just in case. It seems to say the StartDoc message is actually referring to Sharing permissions..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/121074

Reaction score
From someone on another forum..
"
Click Start,
Search for cmd.exe
Right click on cmd.exe
Click on Run as Administrator
Type C:\
Press Enter.
Type CD\Windows\System32\Spool
Press Enter.
Type Cacls.exe PRINTERS /e /g users:C
Press Enter.
Restart the computer
"

This worked, I am not sure why, but it did.

Reaction score
Maybe this will help explain. If you don't know, ACLs are Access Control Lists. Not sure why it would be necessary or what effect it might have on the system as far as security.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cacls /?

NOTE: Cacls is now deprecated, please use Icacls.
Displays or modifies access control lists (ACLs) of files

/E Edit ACL instead of replacing it.
/G user : perm Grant specified user access rights.
C Change (write)

Ask a Question