Printer Problems

Reaction score
I have a computer with two partitions, one windows 7 and the other windows 10. I prefer to use windows 7 because it is more user friendly, but today I opened the windows 10 partition and tried to print a PDF file to my HP wireless printer and it would not print. It did print a test page but still, when I tried to print the PDF file to my printer, it tried to print to onenote. I don't know why because I do not even have microsoft office installed on my computer. I normally use open office for and my document or similar work.
I thought it may be because this is not a wireless computer and is connected by cable, but after I closed it down and reopened the computer in windows 7
I managed to print the same PDF file without any trouble. I tried to run a troubleshooter but that was useless and just said to could not fix the problem.

Microsoft keeps saying that windows 10 is much better and faster but, I have not found that to be the case. I have tried to attach the printer test that I scanned on a windows xp computer but it says it not an allowed extension even though it is a doc file, so I am not sure if it will upload.

Reaction score
It's possible to have OneNote installed without Office, may have come with Windows.

I use 2 HP printers but connected to my Router via Ethernet cables and the software for them has to be installed on every OS/Operating System intending to use them, presently 2 Win10 RTM wired desktops, 1 Win10 IP Desktop, 1 Linux Mint Desktop with the rest being Wireless 1 Linux Mint Notebook and several Win10 Notebooks.

Some flavors of OS's will pick up the basics but rather unreliable with Wireless Direct so I don't use that, prefer Wi-Fi through the Wireless Router.

Dual-booting 2 or more OS's tends to require duplicating the install while booted into each one.

Side note: the same computers use the same methods for accessing the 2 NAS drives attached to the Router.

Reaction score
Press the Windows and "i" keys simultaneously, select "Devices", "Printers and scanners", scroll down and uncheck "Let Windows manage my default printer". Then click the desired printer, select "Manage", then "Set as default".

Ben

Reaction score
What program are you using to open the PDF. (in either OS's)?
By the way, Onenote is not part of the office package, as Bighorn says..
First reading of your original post indicates that you have not actually installed a printer in Windows 10.

Last edited:

Ask a Question