SOLVED W10 Fall update followed by printer problems.

Reaction score
This m/s update appeared to be successful with everything functioning except for my old and trusted HP Deskjet 990Cxi printer which would no longer respond to print requests.
During a chat session with Microsoft and a subsequent resolution takeover by them attempts at printer uninstall and reinstall have failed. A roll-back of W10 has been achieved successfully to the pre-"Fall" state but the printer is still not working.(Looks like something has happened to muck things up during the attempts to resolve the issue )
I used the printer in W10 during the day before the Upgrade and know that the machine is in working order as it will print from an old XP drive I still have available to me.
M/s have suggested an approach to HP for the appropriate driver but HP are only pointing to the Built-in driver in W10 for my model of printer. However the W10 Built-in driver will not install. Is it possible the W10 Built in driver has become corrupted... and if so is there any way of repairing/ replacing it without a re-install of W10? Hope that all makes some sort of sense and someone may have some positive thoughts.

Reaction score
I had an HP 970 that looked like your 990, it wouldn't even work with Win8. As I recall that 970 had the capability of the 25-pin IEEE 1284 cable connection and USB 2.

Reaction score
This m/s update appeared to be successful with everything functioning except for my old and trusted HP Deskjet 990Cxi printer which would no longer respond to print requests.
During a chat session with Microsoft and a subsequent resolution takeover by them attempts at printer uninstall and reinstall have failed. A roll-back of W10 has been achieved successfully to the pre-"Fall" state but the printer is still not working.(Looks like something has happened to muck things up during the attempts to resolve the issue )
I used the printer in W10 during the day before the Upgrade and know that the machine is in working order as it will print from an old XP drive I still have available to me.
M/s have suggested an approach to HP for the appropriate driver but HP are only pointing to the Built-in driver in W10 for my model of printer. However the W10 Built-in driver will not install. Is it possible the W10 Built in driver has become corrupted... and if so is there any way of repairing/ replacing it without a re-install of W10? Hope that all makes some sort of sense and someone may have some positive thoughts.
I have an Epson printer with the same problem. Epson is no help and I have tried everything! How did you get help from MS Windows without paying for it?

Reaction score
I have an Epson printer with the same problem. Epson is no help and I have tried everything! How did you get help from MS Windows without paying for it?

Reaction score
Hi,
I was given quite extensive advice on another Forum but regrettably to no avail. I did try the M/s Chat line again and once more a very helpful Agent took control and tried all he knew, but to no avail. After taking advice he did venture the opinion that it could well be that after the Fall update HP were no longer supporting their product's driver.
As my printer was getting a bit long in the tooth, and HP had a good package offer at the time, I took the plunge and bought a new WiFi one. There were a few registration/set up problems and I had to refer to their Customer Support (telephone number a lot more readily available after a new purchase!) who were actually very helpful, themselves taking control of my computer, and concluding there was a fault with the HP driver file on my machine.
He took advice and returned with a Microsoft workaround which needed a lot of adjustments to be made in various System settings - but eventually it worked.
As all helpful Agents do once that was completed he asked if there was anything else he could help with. Perhaps a little cheekily I asked if the workaround might work for my 990. Obligingly he tried and I now have two fully functional printers.For the old machine all he had to do was update the Built in driver as his lengthy work had already rectified the general HP driver issue.
So happily, far from stopping support for their driver, HP went to considerable lengths to get things going properly.
Conclusion: parts of Microsoft are fully aware of their driver issues after the Falls update so press their front line staff hard to seek out your solution to avoid you having to shell out for a new machine because of their errors.

Reaction score
Looks like I was so busy posting the outcome I did not actually answer your question.
Go to Start/Settings/Devices/Get Help/ enter brief description of product/problem and click Next/ select Windows from drop down menu/ under Get more Support click "Chat".

Best of Luck.

Reaction score
Looks like I was so busy posting the outcome I did not actually answer your question.
Go to Start/Settings/Devices/Get Help/ enter brief description of product/problem and click Next/ select Windows from drop down menu/ under Get more Support click "Chat".

Best of Luck.
Thank you. I will try getting to MS that way.

Reaction score
I got no help this way. All I got was "Do I want to talk to a person" for a charge. I don't kow how you managed this. I never got a person, just a vertual agent. I do not get the options you get. I am so sick of Microsoft and it's money grabbing. This problem was caused by their update and support to fix should be free.

Last edited:

Ask a Question