Printing Gmail attachments seems overly complex

Reaction score
When I receive an attachment in gmail (pdf or docx), I click on the attachment and get a preview of it. If I click the print button, it downloads the attachment and opens a blank screen. I then have to open the downloaded attachment and then print it. After that, there are several windows that I have to close. This seems awfully convoluted to just print an attachment that I can see on the first preview screen. Am I missing something?

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
When I receive an attachment in gmail (pdf or docx), I click on the attachment and get a preview of it. If I click the print button, it downloads the attachment and opens a blank screen. I then have to open the downloaded attachment and then print it. After that, there are several windows that I have to close. This seems awfully convoluted to just print an attachment that I can see on the first preview screen. Am I missing something?
Hi it should either open in Office Word or one note
What Office app are you using if 2013 then that may be the trouble, with the new Office 2016 it will go start in or another way go to more action where the 3 ... is click on it and scroll down to print both of these work as I have used them

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
I am using MSO Word 2013. I'm not clear on what you mean by "3...is click on it"can you clarify?
Up in the top right corner you should see 3 ... click on them will bring up more action.
In there is Print
Press that and you will be able to print whatever you want

Reaction score

I have a web-based Gmail account which I rarely use.
I have MS Office 2007 which I use PowerPoint mostly.
In trying to reproduce your issue, I sent a PowerPoint and a docx attachments to my gmail account.
I right clicked at the attachment > clicked print.
I had no problem printing it.

That "3 ..." is in reference to the Mail app in Windows 10..... the 3 dots will be at the top right corner when you receive an email in the Inbox.
If you are using web-based gmail like I do, that 3-dots option does not exist in gmail.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Up in the top right corner you should see 3 ... click on them will bring up more action.
In there is Print
Press that and you will be able to print whatever you want
Thanks! I haven't heard that called a "3" before, but now I see. I've heard it called a stack of pancakes and a hamburger & now 3--cool!

Reaction score
Thanks! I haven't heard that called a "3" before, but now I see. I've heard it called a stack of pancakes and a hamburger & now 3--cool!

If you are now talking about Mail app in Windows 10, there is a 3-dots icon located at top right corner, and there is a 3-line (hamburger) icon located at top left.
Hamburger icon will not give you the print option.
3-dots icon will.

Mail app.jpg

Ask a Question