Printing problems with Windows 10

Reaction score
I have just upgraded my computer to a Dell XPS with Windows 10 and MS small business 2016.
I can print emails OK but am unable to print either Excel or Word files. The printer appears to be printing the document but the page comes out blank.. any ideas?

Reaction score
What is the printer? Since you Upgraded the computer did you also check with the maker of the printer for Win10-compatible software/drivers? Of all the computers and printers I've worked with I never had one that could print from one program and not another. Also check the cable connection, have seen older/slightly older printers with USB lose communication when the cable was plugged into a USB 3 port instead of the USB 2 port they were designed for.

Reaction score
What is the printer? Since you Upgraded the computer did you also check with the maker of the printer for Win10-compatible software/drivers? Of all the computers and printers I've worked with I never had one that could print from one program and not another. Also check the cable connection, have seen older/slightly older printers with USB lose communication when the cable was plugged into a USB 3 port instead of the USB 2 port they were designed for.

Reaction score
It's a very good possibility the printer is too old. We always run the risk of obsolete equipment when Operating Systems are Upgraded or updated.

The main issue is that when a product is no longer made and sold there is no money coming in to pay programmers to write updated software to accommodate the new OS making older devices unusable.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Reaction score
It's a very good possibility the printer is too old. We always run the risk of obsolete equipment when Operating Systems are Upgraded or updated.

The main issue is that when a product is no longer made and sold there is no money coming in to pay programmers to write updated software to accommodate the new OS making older devices unusable.

Reaction score
You were right Bighorn, the printer is too old. Installed latest driver, removed device, uninstalled driver, installed device and latest driver all failed. Then picked up message " USB printing support can't work properly with USB 3.0".
Bought a new Epson XP-640 and everything works OK with the USB 3.0 on my new computer.

Thanks Bighorn for the advice.

Ask a Question