SOLVED Problem: I rotate an image to correct position--does not upload/transfer that way.

Reaction score
I am here: This PC > Pictures > [name of this image folder group]

When I rotate an image and then upload it to a seller's webpage on Amazon.com, it reappears on Amazon back in its unrotated sideways position. This happens whether I upload or drag-and-drop. At first I thought maybe I needed to Refresh the Picture File page for the new correctly rotated image to register, then upload it, but I tried that and it made no difference. I also assumed all this was some problem within Amazon (by the way, once an image is uploaded to Amazon, I can remove it, but it can't be rotated by a seller once it is within Amazon), but then I tried to drag-and-drop the correctly rotated image from my Picture File over to an outgoing email, which I've done successfully before, and there too the image reappears in my email reverted back to its unrotated sideways position.

So bottom line: How can I rotate an image in my Picture File (that part is successful) so that it will stay correctly rotated when I upload it or drag-and-drop it to another location?

Thanks for listening,
tma
(e-mail address removed)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure what program you are using to manipulate or otherwise edit your photos, but....
Typically, after any editing you have to save the file to preserve the edits. Normally, I'll do a save as and give it a new file name to maintain the original as a backup.

Reaction score
I thought all of this was within Microsoft Windows 10. These images are already saved within Pictures at the address I earlier mentioned. In this file there are about a dozen images, most needing rotation. I just now rotated them all to their correct orientation, and then tried creating a new folder and folder name with them in the correct position, all of this on the same screen as the old folder. I then tried to upload that one image again to Amazon.com, and, sure enough, it is back to the old sideways position. When I do put these in the correct position, there is no Save or Reload to click, only a Refresh arrow that does no good. I looked at Send, but can't really see anything there that helps me. If I send one of these images to Outgoing Email or Documents, it will be back to sideways again, like when I tried it with Email earlier. Besides, the thought that I am now going to have to transfer every image I need to rotate over to Documents before I upload it is pretty depressing. Like I say, I have uploaded hundreds of images to Amazon and transferred many to email and never had this problem before. Anyway, thanks much for listening. I will keep trying ...

tma

Reaction score
I use Windows Photo Viewer to view and optionally to rotate images. I've never seen the problem you report. What program are you using to do the rotation?

Alan

Reaction score
Alan, thanks for your answer, appreciated. Been busy on what passes in my small online business as a Christmas rush. Hard to believe, but the problem, which has caused any new listing of products for sale to screech to a halt, has become even worse.

I no longer even have the pleasure of trying to upload the correctly rotated image to Amazon, whereupon it is uploaded still sideways, because now when I click the image to upload it, a new app comes into play that places that enlarged image in a smaller--Photos- View Collection--screen where I can manipulate it, improve it, whatever, but NOT upload it. When I look at this View Collection screen, I can see no option for just turning the damn thing off. I can close it, but it just pops back up if I click the original image again. On that original image, without clicking it--again it is correctly rotated now--when I try to drag and drop it over to the Amazon upload icon, which in the past I was able to successfully accomplish, now, since I've had this rotation problem, what happens is that the entire Amazon screen is taken up by a huge version of the image I'm trying to drag and drop. If I go outside of that Amazon screen, to, say, my Amazon Inventory Page and then go back to the Amazon product page, I see that the drag and drop was unsuccessful, the Amazon image icon is still blank as if I had never dragged and dropped.

As far as what program I was using to rotate, as I say, I am in MS Windows 10, File Explorer, Quick Access, Downloads, Picture Icon, This PC, Pictures, image folders are displayed, click open desired file, clicking on image with a Microsoft Mouse, presents a box showing the Rotate option, clicked to rotate, looks like successful rotation.

Don't know whether it was you or someone else, said that I needed to Save the image after I rotated it, but on that image folders screen I see no option to Save, and when I close the image folder file, then shut down my laptop, restart my laptop and go back to the same image file, the image I correctly rotated is still correctly rotated, so I would think that means that it was saved.

At this point I would feel that I had made at least some progress if I could kill that Photos - View Collection screen from popping up every time I click an image to try to upload it. That prevents me from experimenting with anything else. Once the image is on that Photos - View Collection screen, clicking it, in hopes that it will still upload, only enlarges the image. I guess a big mistake was when I called up the image folders when I started today, I got a box giving me several option on how I want my images called up, I clicked what I thought would be the status quo, but instead get this screen that wants me to play around with the images. I don't want to play around with the images. I want to upload one of them!

When I go back to Start, then to my list of apps, and look at the Photos icon (sort of a mountain range image), I can see no way that I can just shut that part of it off, so that it doesn't pop back on each time I try to upload an image by clicking it. If by chance you know how I would shut that thing down, I would very much appreciate knowing how. Then I can at least go back to the original problem of not being able to rotate an image and get it uploaded that same way to Amazon.

Thanks for listening,
Tom

Reaction score
If you really must load the pictures. Go to another pc after loading your pics to a thumb drive and load them from that one as a temporary solution.

Reaction score
Thanks, I may try that as a temp measure. My laptop is a good Acer, but several years old and is giving me trouble with what I call Red Tide, with some shades of black-gray most of the time showing up on my screen as red, pink or orange. Really fun watching a streaming movie. If it is a film about Mars, it works better. Anyway I plan on getting a new laptop in a month or two. Maybe that will solve the whole problem. But wish I could turn off that box/app that now pops up in my face any time I click an image in my image folders, trying to upload it. I do have other images I use for my blog and for Twitter. This is a different file where they are all arrayed as tiles. Fortunately with those there is no problem with click-upload, but the groups of images in folders I have from my camera are the ones I use for Amazon.

As good as you guys are, it is obviously hard to do this by email. A couple of times I've had a computer guy here. His fingers fly across the keys as he tries many things, one right after the other, until something works. Pretty hard to do that second-hand from far away, but appreciate the effort.

Thanks again,
Tom

Reaction score
So, what is going on is one of two things.

A picture can be rotated by swapping all the pixels. Or it can be rotated by setting a meta data item and having the program which displays this, understand that item and rotating it when it views it.

What you need is a program which really rotates the picture (moves the pixels) so that Amazon thinks the photo is normal as it appears it ignores the meta data.

Try this:

Find a picture, any picture and right click. On the menu that appears, click on "Open With" and then click on "Choose another app". Select "Windows Photo Viewer" and click on "Always use this app". Then, open the picture itself and save it rotated. I think Windows Photo Viewer really rotates the picture.

Does that make any difference? If not, you just need to find an app that does it properly.

Let us know if something works (or not).

Alan

Reaction score
I haven't been able to get back to this problem for a few days. I followed your instructions, which all make perfect sense. When I get to 'Open With' I see that I have already been using 'Windows Photo Viewer.' In Windows Photo Viewer it is already correctly rotated, from my having done that before. When I "open the picture itself" it appears, again, as I say, correctly rotated in a field or box called 'View collection.' As I said before, I cannot upload to Amazon from there, since, even if I have already clicked the Amazon Upload icon, clicking the image in that 'View collection' box only further enlarges the image or shrinks it back. As far as "Save," I see no option for that within that box nor in the box that appears when I click my Microsoft Windows mouse. Might be right in front of me, but maybe you can tell me where that "Save" option is once the image appears in the 'View collection' box.

Either way, much appreciated, Alan, I'll keep trying ...

Tom

Reaction score
I haven't been able to get back to this problem for a few days. I followed your instructions, which all make perfect sense. When I get to 'Open With' I see that I have already been using 'Windows Photo Viewer.' In Windows Photo Viewer it is already correctly rotated, from my having done that before. When I "open the picture itself" it appears, again, as I say, correctly rotated in a field or box called 'View collection.' As I said before, I cannot upload to Amazon from there, since, even if I have already clicked the Amazon Upload icon, clicking the image in that 'View collection' box only further enlarges the image or shrinks it back. As far as "Save," I see no option for that within that box nor in the box that appears when I click my Microsoft Windows mouse. Might be right in front of me, but maybe you can tell me where that "Save" option is once the image appears in the 'View collection' box.

Either way, much appreciated, Alan, I'll keep trying ...

Tom
I am having this exact same problem with my Acer ( I just updated to windows 10 and that seems to have started all my problems but could be a coincidence.) I use ebay and other e commerce sites and use Auctiva as my template for ebay and am losing HUGE amounts of time trying to list items because I have to use Auctiva's stodgy slow pain in the butt edit tool to flip my photos back properly. I"ve done a lot of the steps you've already taken and can't get it to work right. I really didn't have it in the budget to buy a newer pc

Reaction score
Yes, same with me. It was Windows 10 that did me in, as far a failure to rotate an image. Or, no problem rotating in Windows, but once uploaded to Amazon, it appears back upside-down. Can't afford it, but was going to get a new laptop, but, for some reason, my main problem, red, orange and pink shadings and blotches on my screen, went away. Later today I am turning my Amazon store back on after its having been down for a few months. Soon I will again try to get a new item's image uploaded right-side-up on Amazon and see if a miracle takes place and it actually works. All very frustrating because I had done this successfully countless times before 'upgrading' to Windows 10. Sorry it has happened to you, but helpful to know someone else has had the exact same experience. So, jessi, appreciate your note very much. --Tom

Reaction score
This is weird,
I always use Windows Paint program to edit my Images. I just flipped a plant Image, saved it to desktop and it never saved as flipped.
But, when I send same image to Paint to try again its flipped, just not when saved.

I thought this might have helped.
:(

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. It worked in Windows 7 but now in windows 10 update rotation won't stay if uploading images to ebay or any other website. If I open each image in Photoshop and save it again, then .. and only then the rotation is permanent.
This is really annoying because it is very time consuming if you have a lot of scanned images that need rotation. I wonder if this is a bug or by purpose?

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. It worked in Windows 7 but now in windows 10 update rotation won't stay if uploading images to ebay or any other website. If I open each image in Photoshop and save it again, then .. and only then the rotation is permanent.
This is really annoying because it is very time consuming if you have a lot of scanned images that need rotation. I wonder if this is a bug or by purpose?
Its not a bug. If you rotate the image in Photoshop, you are simply displaying it as rotated, like holding a paper photo and rotating it in front of your eyes. Like with any other such change to a digital image, like cropping, changing colours, sharpening, these are all lost if you just close Photoshop. You need to make the change permanent by saving the file under a new name. The original unaltered image will remain on your hard drive, which is essential to allow edits to be considered and rejected as necessary, otherwise all the changes you made would have altered (and ruined) the original image. This approach applies to most applications like word processors, music editors etc.

Reaction score
Thanks Stevekir, makes sense, although I wasn't rotating in Photoshop. I was doing the exact same thing that had worked countless times before. Anyway the temporary workaround was to copy and paste the correctly rotated image over onto my blank blog screen, then save that image in another large image file that I use for blog entries, as opposed to the image folder file that is made up of my transferred camera photos of the products I sell at Amazon. Once the images were in that other large image file I could then upload them into Amazon after hitting their upload icon and they actually arrived still rotated correctly. Now I have a new Del laptop, with software on the way. I'll see how things work out with that. I'll consider this 'solved.'

Again, much appreciation to all!

tma

Reaction score
As far as what program I was using to rotate, as I say, I am in MS Windows 10, File Explorer, Quick Access, Downloads, Picture Icon, This PC, Pictures, image folders are displayed, click open desired file, clicking on image with a Microsoft Mouse, presents a box showing the Rotate option, clicked to rotate, looks like successful rotation.

Don't know whether it was you or someone else, said that I needed to Save the image after I rotated it, but on that image folders screen I see no option to Save, and when I close the image folder file, then shut down my laptop, restart my laptop and go back to the same image file, the image I correctly rotated is still correctly rotated, so I would think that means that it was saved.

I ran into the same exact problem after upgrading to Windows 10! According to this article Image Rotation Issue With Windows 10 the Rotate option that yo mentioned doesn't really physically rotate the picture. It's just updating an "Orientation" flag in the EXIF data of the JPG file. It might look properly rotated on Window 10, but when you upload it to a website like Amazon, it's reverted to the original state because most websites don't support the "Orientation" flag. I followed the instructions in the article above and was able to solve the problem using the good old Paint program that comes with Windows. The trick is to save the photo in Paint without actually rotating it. Read the full article above to get all the steps. Hope this helps!

Kal

Reaction score
Sometimes if you format the pic, as in sharpen or brighten or even do a minimal itty bitty crop so as not to compromise the image AND then do a 'save as' under a different name AND upload that version, it should work. If not take another picture. :)) :):)

Reaction score
Last post on this was on Nov 17, 2016, maybe the OP fixed the issue.

But, I use the older Windows Photo Viewer which has a rotate function to correct the problem caused with photos from cellphones but it's viewed correctly will be/can be saved, usually don't change back to original. If there's a slant to an image usually better to correct in an editing program.

Ask a Question