Problem starting Windows 10

Reaction score
Since upgrading to Windows 10 via the Windows Update my laptop takes an age to load after power down - up to 5 minutes if I'm lucky. The circle of gyrating dots is followed by a totally blank screen, then the Windows 10 logo appears for a while. The password sign on is next, another blank screen then a full screen picture with the current date shown in large letters on the left hand side. This picture stays there until I press the return key.
Is there a way of re-installing Windows 10 bearing in mind that I accessed the upgrade from the web?
I am on the verge of reverting to my previous OS but would appreciate any useful comments before I do so.
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
My W10 on my PC loads extremely fast, but slower than 8.1 which it was upgraded from - but W10 was reported to take longer so no complaints there.

But on my notebook, which was at W7, I am seeing 3 - 4 minutes if I am lucky and I am not happy with that. And I am seeing similar reports, in particular, from those coming from W7 on notebooks.

The delays are most likely due to the hardware drivers and the security getting set up.

What OS did you come from?

But more importantly, how does it run once it does finally boot? Of okay, then I don't think rolling back to your previous version is a good idea - if for no other reason than W10 is more secure.

My hopes are Microsoft and the various hardware vendors will get this sorted out soon. So my advice is to just wait and see.

That said, you have 30 days to roll back. After that, your old OS recovery files will be deleted.

Reaction score
Since upgrading to Windows 10 via the Windows Update my laptop takes an age to load after power down - up to 5 minutes if I'm lucky. The circle of gyrating dots is followed by a totally blank screen, then the Windows 10 logo appears for a while. The password sign on is next, another blank screen then a full screen picture with the current date shown in large letters on the left hand side. This picture stays there until I press the return key.
Is there a way of re-installing Windows 10 bearing in mind that I accessed the upgrade from the web?
I am on the verge of reverting to my previous OS but would appreciate any useful comments before I do so.
Thanks in advance

If you were happy with your previous OS and there had been trouble free, by all means, go back to it.
Win 10 is a new OS and apparently there are quite a lot of issues reported by users in various forums.
It might be prudent to wait for Microsoft to sort things out first, then when dust is settled, you can do the upgrade again.
Free upgrade is still good up to July 28th, 2016.

Ask a Question