Problem with microphone not found

Reaction score
I got a new tablet yesterday. Everything was working including the microphone on Skype. I shut off the tablet last night and when I rebooted this morning, Windows 10 updated (I guess to a later version since I have automatic updates set on). It seemed to update fine, but the microphone is not being found. I checked the drivers under "sound, video and game controller" and tried to update them. The system reported that they were the latest drivers. Cortana and Skype now say there is no recording device. If I right select the speaker icon in the bottom right and select recording devices the message is "no recording devices installed". What is going on?

Reaction score
Does the tablet maker have a support site?

Does device manager show a microphone under Audio inputs and Outputs and if so it it shown as working or not. If a microphone is shown at all it should give an idea as to the manufacturer and the driver supplier. Worth trying to update the driver.

Reaction score
Thanks Tim,
The tablet maker doesn't have a support site that I can find. As you suggested I looked under Audio inputs and outputs. There is no microphone there. I looked at the same thing on my desktop and there is a microphone from Realtek.

Reaction score
If it will let you, try to roll back the driver in device manager. If it lets you then see if it all works!

Try disabling the microphone in device manager and reenabling it. You make need to reboot in between those steps.
if that fails then the next thing to try is to uninstall the microphone in device manager and then let Windows search for new hardware. Using control panel - hardware- add a device. Windows should install it with the driver you have.

Ask a Question