Problem with reverting back to Windows 7 from Windows 10

Reaction score
I had installed Windows 10 on my Dell desktop computer and within the 30 days, I tried to revert back to my original OS. I needed to do that because of compatibility issues. Everything appeared to go well until the reboot. On the reboot, the system would not give me the normal windows screen. I have a blank (black) screen with only the mouse pointer showing up. I have tried various Windows 7 Recovery discs but with avail. I have been able to get to the last Restore point (using a recovery disk) but after completing that I end up with the same result.

I would appreciate any help that anyone could provide. If a total reinstall is needed with the original Windows 7 discs, is there at least a boot file that gives me access to my personal files on the hard drive to transfer to an external drive? I am afraid will need to reformat the hard-drive and start from square one.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Everything appeared to go well until the reboot. On the reboot, the system would not give me the normal windows screen. I have a blank (black) screen with only the mouse pointer showing up
On that black screen with the cursor, can you hit Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys and launch task manager?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So when you hit Control Alt Delete nothing happens at all?
Are you using a USB Keyboard or wireless?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Unplug any and all peripheral devices. All usb dongles, for wifi or Bluetooth or anything else including any external drives and or printers using USB connections.
Leave only, USB keyboard, USB mouse and Monitor.

Reaction score
Unplug any and all peripheral devices. All usb dongles, for wifi or Bluetooth or anything else including any external drives and or printers using USB connections.
Leave only, USB keyboard, USB mouse and Monitor.
I unplugged all peripheral devices except for wireless mouse and keyboard. Rebooted and got the same result. Black screen with active mouse pointer. Tried to get Task Manager but no show.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I unplugged all peripheral devices except for wireless mouse and keyboard.
I'm sorry, evidently I did not make myself clear.
No wireless anything...... only wired devices..... wired usb keyboard...... wired usb mouse...... and monitor....... that's all.

Reaction score
I'm sorry, evidently I did not make myself clear.
No wireless anything...... only wired devices..... wired usb keyboard...... wired usb mouse...... and monitor....... that's all.
Done. No wireless devices of any sort. Rebooted and I get the same result - mouse pointer on a black screen is only visible. I appreciate the trouble shooting. Hope there is a solution.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So with no USB devices plugged in (not even the dongle (did you remove it) for your wireless devices) and only using a wired keyboard and mouse, you cannot bring up task manager by hitting control alt delete?
is there at least a boot file that gives me access to my personal files on the hard drive to transfer to an external drive?
Yes you can boot with a Linux distro Live CD and use that to move or copy off all your critical data to an external USB storage device.
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=191
Just download the ISO, burn it to a DVD and boot from that.
Do not run the installer on the Linux Desktop, just continue to use the Live environment to get your files off.

Reaction score
So with no USB devices plugged in (not even the dongle (did you remove it) for your wireless devices) and only using a wired keyboard and mouse, you cannot bring up task manager by hitting control alt delete?

Yes you can boot with a Linux distro Live CD and use that to move or copy off all your critical data to an external USB storage device.
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=191
Just download the ISO, burn it to a DVD and boot from that.
Do not run the installer on the Linux Desktop, just continue to use the Live environment to get your files off.
Yes, I also removed the dongle plug and rebooted and after letting it run for a bit, I then tried the control alt delete keys. I will download the Linux CD and try to get my files. I tried the Windows support website in the hope of getting a copy of the Windows 7 iso for a reinstall afterwards but the site gave me some lame excuse for not. After entering my product key, they tell that it was a Dell manufacture install, so I must go to Dell to get a copy. I wonder if I can reinstall a Windows 10 after reformatting the hard-drive. At least I had a semi-operation machine in W10 before trying to go back to my fully operational W7. I am not impressed with Microsoft.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When you copy off your files
Usually C:\Users\YourUserName and any other profile names that are important......
In your case, because you attempted a Roll Back to Windows 7 from Windows 10, and now you seem to be stuck with little recourse, you might also want to inspect the Windows.OLD folder in the root of C:\
If it has survived the downgrade there may be some files there you might also consider including in your rescue of data.

Also since you are sort of back on Windows 7 (albeit, maybe not completely) have you tried tapping continuously on the F8 key from a cold boot, just to see if perhaps Safe Mode might be available to you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I wonder if I can reinstall a Windows 10 after reformatting the hard-drive.
IF the Windows 10 installation had been running long enough to effectively "Activate" then you should be entitled to a clean custom install of Windows 10 (identical version and bit architecture).

Reaction score
When you copy off your files
Usually C:\Users\YourUserName and any other profile names that are important......
In your case, because you attempted a Roll Back to Windows 7 from Windows 10, and now you seem to be stuck with little recourse, you might also want to inspect the Windows.OLD folder in the root of C:\
If it has survived the downgrade there may be some files there you might also consider including in your rescue of data.

Also since you are sort of back on Windows 7 (albeit, maybe not completely) have you tried tapping continuously on the F8 key from a cold boot, just to see if perhaps Safe Mode might be available to you.
Yes, I tried the safe mode. In the safe mode, the screen showed the base drivers loading and then, a blank screen. Hell, even the command prompt would not work. Using a Windows Recovery program found on the Internet gave me the option to repair the start up or recover from a previous system restore, but the result was the same after each attempt. Thank you for your help and advice. I am almost tempted to convert the desktop to Linux altogether.

Reaction score
IF the Windows 10 installation had been running long enough to effectively "Activate" then you should be entitled to a clean custom install of Windows 10 (identical version and bit architecture).
The Windows 10 install was fully accepted and had been running ok for about 20 days. I just kept getting compatibility issues so I decided to revert back and perhaps look at a reinstall at a later date, after Microsoft corrects some bugs. Now, I wish I had left alone.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Now, I wish I had left alone.
You and a whole bunch of other people.
Both the upgrade and the rollback function has often not been as smooth as advertised and a lot of people are scratching their heads wondering what they are suppose to do with a computer that won't even boot.

Reaction score
I had windows 7
I tried the free windows 10 upgrade "limited time offer"
None of my games worked
When I went to revert, it only had Windows 8 (.w/e)
Whatever OS I have now is garbage. Sometimes it starts ok but things tend to slow down and crash, sometimes it gives me blackscreen. I want to dropkick kick my monitor through the ceiling 100%. Thanks Microsoft :)

Ask a Question