SOLVED Problems with "Add a printer"

Reaction score
I upgraded to Windows 10 last week and all went well until I tried to add a new printer. I have a wireless network, with 2 printers. The HP printer/scanner is recognised, but the Brother printer used for bulk printing isn't found automatically, and when I use the "Add a printer" option, the system crashes and Windows closes down with a "system thread exception not handled" error message. The only way I've found to recover is by reinstalling Windows 10, which isn't ideal. This has happened twice, at exactly the same point in the "Add a printer" process.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Try uninstalling the Brother printer off the primary PC and then reinstalling it. This time don't use the add/printer function....actually download and install the driver/software package from Brother's website.

Reaction score
Try uninstalling the Brother printer off the primary PC and then reinstalling it. This time don't use the add/printer function....actually download and install the driver/software package from Brother's website.

Thanks for a speedy reply. I'll give that a shot, once Windows 10 has reinstalled.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Question: Are both printers being left connected and turned on during the install/reinstall process. If so, try powering them down and unplugging them and manually installing each one on their designated PC's after the reinstall.

Reaction score
Question: Are both printers being left connected and turned on during the install/reinstall process. If so, try powering them down and unplugging them and manually installing each one on their designated PC's after the reinstall.

Yup, both left switched on during the process, and connected wirelessly. They're not plugged into any of the computers on the network, so I'm not sure what you mean by unplugging them.

Ask a Question