Program not starting

Reaction score
I have a small piece of software called pacprobe that I've been running for several years. Yesterday when I went to open it nothing happened when I double clicked. I downloaded it again. Still nothing. (It runs direct from the exe file rather than being installed). I've run as admin run from CMD, moved it do different location, checked registry for file associations, and downloaded it again today. All that happens when you click it is a short blue wheel spin then nothing. No error messages.

The windows log shows a simultenaoue app error and .net runtime error every time I try to start the program.

App error is:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 11/2/2019 2:31:02 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxx
Description:
Faulting application name: PacsProbe.exe, version: 1.3.19.314, time stamp: 0x5c8b0c96
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17134.1067, time stamp: 0xf8053af3
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000003a388
Faulting process id: 0x1ef4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d591abadd88e01
Faulting application path: C:\Users\m0561963\Downloads\PascProbe_v1_3_19_314(14MAR2019)\PacsProbe.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 0ac7918d-624a-4610-b2e2-1b62145e877f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-11-02T18:31:02.115906900Z" />
<EventRecordID>76012</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>xxxxxx</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>PacsProbe.exe</Data>
<Data>1.3.19.314</Data>
<Data>5c8b0c96</Data>
<Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
<Data>10.0.17134.1067</Data>
<Data>f8053af3</Data>
<Data>e0434352</Data>
<Data>000000000003a388</Data>
<Data>1ef4</Data>
<Data>01d591abadd88e01</Data>
<Data>C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\Downloads\PascProbe_v1_3_19_314(14MAR2019)\PacsProbe.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
<Data>0ac7918d-624a-4610-b2e2-1b62145e877f</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Net runtime error is

Log Name: Application
Source: .NET Runtime
Date: 11/2/2019 2:31:02 PM
Event ID: 1026
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: xxxx
Description:
Application: PacsProbe.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.UnauthorizedAccessException
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, Int32, Boolean, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, System.IO.FileOptions, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES, System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, System.IO.FileShare, Int32)
at .Main(System.String[])

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-11-02T18:31:02.022179100Z" />
<EventRecordID>76011</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>xxxxt</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Application: PacsProbe.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.UnauthorizedAccessException
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, Int32, Boolean, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, System.IO.FileOptions, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES, System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, System.IO.FileShare, Int32)
at .Main(System.String[])

</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

The application you are attempting to run [ i.e. your Demo copy ] has an unsigned publisher.

My guess would be Windows Defender [ or a non native Security suite you are using ] is blocking the application from running.

If you are certain the executable is safe to run, then go into your Security application and grant the application permission to run.

You may also need to go into Windows Defender firewall settings and grant it permission there too.

Other than that, the error points to a native .ddl file [ KernellBase.dll ] located at C:\Windows\System32

You may need to run a System File Check to verify this file has not become corrupted.
  • Type cmd into the Cortana search field, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together
  • When the UAC prompt appears click yes
  • Now at the Elevated command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter key to execute

Note: If an error is detected and repaired [ or not repaired ]. then repeat the sfc /scannow command a couple more times

Something else to factor in is that Microsoft in recent times updated the .Net Framework. Whether that update has had an affect on your application you might be able to verify by adjusting the settings:
  • Type control panel into the Cortana search field, then press Enter
  • Select View by: Category then click Uninstall a program
  • In the window that opens, on the left pane select Turn Windows features on or off
  • Remove the check next to the .Net Framework 4.8 Advanced Services
  • Check the box next to .Net Framework 3.5 ( includes .Net 2.0 and 3.0 )
  • Click OK
  • Restart computer for changes to be put in place
  • Attempt to run your PacsProbe.exe

Other than that, the only thing I an think of, would be to contact the software creator and seek their advice, via their Contact Us form.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

The application you are attempting to run [ i.e. your Demo copy ] has an unsigned publisher.

My guess would be Windows Defender [ or a non native Security suite you are using ] is blocking the application from running.

If you are certain the executable is safe to run, then go into your Security application and grant the application permission to run.

You may also need to go into Windows Defender firewall settings and grant it permission there too.

Other than that, the error points to a native .ddl file [ KernellBase.dll ] located at C:\Windows\System32

You may need to run a System File Check to verify this file has not become corrupted.
  • Type cmd into the Cortana search field, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together
  • When the UAC prompt appears click yes
  • Now at the Elevated command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter key to execute

Note: If an error is detected and repaired [ or not repaired ]. then repeat the sfc /scannow command a couple more times

Something else to factor in is that Microsoft in recent times updated the .Net Framework. Whether that update has had an affect on your application you might be able to verify by adjusting the settings:
  • Type control panel into the Cortana search field, then press Enter
  • Select View by: Category then click Uninstall a program
  • In the window that opens, on the left pane select Turn Windows features on or off
  • Remove the check next to the .Net Framework 4.8 Advanced Services
  • Check the box next to .Net Framework 3.5 ( includes .Net 2.0 and 3.0 )
  • Click OK
  • Restart computer for changes to be put in place
  • Attempt to run your PacsProbe.exe

Other than that, the only thing I an think of, would be to contact the software creator and seek their advice, via their Contact Us form.

Regards,

Regedit32
Thanks for reply.

I actually noticed that a Windows Defender event preceded the first time the program failed to open yesterday. So following your advice I went into Windows Defender and switched on Controlled Access folder, then added the app as an exception (is this the right thing to do)? It is also added to the firewall exception list The app then started successfully! However, when I closed the app and tried to start it again it did not start and triggered the same error log.. So I got it opened once, but it is now not opening again. I've temporarily turned off Defender altogether and it is still not opening. It seems like Defender is invoved somewhere given that it opened succesfully the first time after I added it to the list...but not sure why this would not stick

Regedit32

Reaction score
You've done the right thing regarding Windows Defender.

That ought to remove the issue with the unsigned executable.

There is still the issue with the possibly corrupted dynamic library link KernellBase.dll, you you'll be wanting to run the System File Check I mentioned — probably more than once.

Also, you may want to alter the .NET Framework settings to test whether its simply a compatibility issue with the newer .NET Framework 4.8

If it turns out to be a compatibility issue you ought to let the Software maker know, as they could easily recode their application and publish an updated version.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Update re the KernelBase.dll

I forgot to mention that the specific dynamic link file is located in two locations:
  • C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll — this location will be used if your PacsProbe.exe is a 32-bit application
  • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll — this location will be used if your PacsProbe.exe is a 64-bit application

Additional note:

Something else that might overcome the triggered error would be to re-register the affected Dynamic Link Library file:
  • Type cmd into the Cortana search field, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together simultaneously
  • When the UAC prompts you, click yes
  • At the elevated command prompt type the following command, pressing Enter key afterwards to execute the command:

If your PacsProbe.exe is a 32-bit application
    Code:
    regsvr32 KernelBase.dll

If your PacsProbe.exe is a 64-bit application
    Code:
    regsvr32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll

Reaction score
I scanned disk for errors; it said there were some corrupt files which it repaired. Rebooted but no luck on the program. I then switched off the Net Framework 4.8 as you suggested. Rebooted twice and the software is now working. Seems like this might be the issue? I'll let the software maker know. Thanks for all your help.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I then switched off the Net Framework 4.8 as you suggested. Rebooted twice and the software is now working. Seems like this might be the issue?

Glad its working for you. I entered one last option a little late, re the registering of the DLL file.

That may be worth testing too, because then you may be able to keep teh .Net Framework 4.8 active and enjoy the benefits of it.

Ask a Question