Search engine programme problem.

Reaction score
When I installed a new programme, it over rode Google as my search engine, even though Google was and still is the chosen search engine. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this rogue search engine off my computer? Thank you, any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
For Chrome go to Settings and scroll down. You will find a dialog that lets you choose. My PC offers Google, Bing, Yahoo or DuckDuckGo.

No idea about Edge, never used it.

Firefoix seems to come with Google as the default but in help there is a procedure listed to change default search engine.

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. When I go to Options in W 10, Google is shown as my preferred search engines, but it does not dome up.
The list in options also shows two new search search engines, that I do not recognize, one of which is the one that crowds out google. I just don't know how to get rid is the two interloper search engines. So I am thinking of backing up W10 a couple of stages until I hit one before I installed the software that is giving me all the trouble. I have done this before in Windows 7 but I forget how I did it. Any thoughts? Than k you.

Reaction score
make sure your install is not corrupt. and yes it will run and work even corrupt
sfc /scannow to see. also
if needed
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

sfc /scannow

If install.wim use

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:G:\sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

if install.esd use

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:G:\sources\install.esd /LimitAccess

Regedit32

Reaction score
If the issue you have raised is occurring in Microsoft's Edge browser, then:
  • Open Microsoft Edge
  • Go to Google's website: https://www.google.com
  • Now click the more icon ( . . . ) in top right corner of Edge, then select Settings
  • On the left panel click Advanced
  • Scroll to bottom of list and click Change search provider
  • You'll see Google is discovered. Left click on Google to highlight it, then click the Set as default button

• Note:
    If you also see the rogue search provider listed there, and do not want it, then left click on it to highlight it, then click Remove button

Reaction score
make sure your install is not corrupt. and yes it will run and work even corrupt
if needed

sfc /scannow

If install.wim use

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:G:\sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

if install.esd use

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:G:\sources\install.esd /LimitAccess
if needed

sfc /scannow

If install.wim use

if install.esd use

Thank you I presume all of the above is done at the "C" prompt?
if needed

sfc /scannow

If install.wim use

if install.esd use

It turns out on further poking around that the search engine that is bedevilling me was added by a programme I downloaded and made changes to Firefox. I deleted it completely in my options, but it pops right up when I restart Firefox. So then I deleted Firefox entirely, turned off the computer and let it drain all its systems. When I turned it back on and re-installed Firefox and guess what popped up, the bandit search engine!!

Regedit32

Reaction score
So what was the program you installed, then uninstalled, you believe is related to search engine.

Also, can you tell us what search engine it is you are trying to get rid of?

It's showing in FireFox. Is it showing up in Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, or anywhere else?

Ask a Question