Programs not appearing in 'All Apps' listing

Reaction score
I have a program xyz which has installed and put a short-cut on the desktop. I have drilled down to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and 'yes'... there are my programs, but they do not appear in All Apps listing.

Since I do not want to have the shortcut on my desktop, I want to be able to get to it through All Apps, I am a bit non-plussed, never had this problem with W7.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
This program "XYZ" must have been installed in the wrong location. A program should be in C:\ Program Files\XYZ. If it was installed correctly it would show in all apps.

Reaction score
This program "XYZ" must have been installed in the wrong location. A program should be in C:\ Program Files\XYZ. If it was installed correctly it would show in all apps.
Yes, the progam itself is located under C:\Program Files (x86)\xyz, but as I understand it, All Apps will show the shortcuts to progams. If the shortcut is appearing in All Apps, then one would get a 'not found' error if the program itself were not where the shortcut says that it is. In this way, the program could be, theoretically, anywhere you like, though it is better to stick all 64-bit in Program Files and 32-bit in (x86) as the default. Please correct me if I am wrong.

My problem is that the shortcut is located properly in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs but not appearing in All Apps, hence my question.

Reaction score
Yes, the progam itself is located under C:\Program Files (x86)\xyz, but as I understand it, All Apps will show the shortcuts to progams. If the shortcut is appearing in All Apps, then one would get a 'not found' error if the program itself were not where the shortcut says that it is. In this way, the program could be, theoretically, anywhere you like, though it is better to stick all 64-bit in Program Files and 32-bit in (x86) as the default. Please correct me if I am wrong.

My problem is that the shortcut is located properly in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs but not appearing in All Apps, hence my question.
You are correct in saying that 64 bit programs should be installed in C:\Programs and 32 bit programs should be installed in C:\Program Files(x86) I had a program once that I installed in C:|Program Files(x86)ABC and it worked very well, even though it was not listed at all in Programs but only in Windows Explorer. Yes you can install a program wherever you choose to. Does the Program Run? You can try to cut and paste it into All Apps or you can try to re install it. It would help to know what is the program XYZ?

Ask a Question