Putting Computer In Sleeping Mode

Reaction score
After installing the update KB4058258, I have a strange problem in that I cannot put the computer in sleep mode using the power symbol in the bottom left start option. I have tried it several times and the computer does power down and give all indications of of entering sleep mode, but it powers back on in less than 10-15 seconds. Tried changing the power sleep times in the Power Options and the computer and screen perform normally if it enters sleep mode at those times. Thought I may have accidentally moved the mouse or keyboard after entering sleep but I did the process several times without touching anything, and it re-powered after the short wait. Didn't see any posts that addresses this strange response. Any ideas?

Reaction score
I had a problem whereby I occasionally could not access the command functions by right-clicking the start icon. My solution was to create four shortcuts with the target as c:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /flag, with the four flags as:
  • /s for "shutdown"
  • /r for "rerun"
  • /h for "hibernate"
  • /r /o for "Boot Options"
The first three add about 15-20 seconds to whatever it is I'm trying to do, but of I can't access the command buttons, it is likely safer than pushing the power button on the tower. I've only used "boot options" a few times just to see what it does -- apparently it like restart, except it stops in the BIOS and lets you do some advanced stuff like testing the disk drives, etc.

Now, the funny thing is that shortly after I created these shortcuts, my start-icon-right-mouse-click started working, and I've have very little reason to use these system shutdown functions. I'm not claiming cause-and-effect, but it is what it is.

Reaction score
My problem is that I can turn it off, restart, logout, shutdown, and even get into sleep, but it wakes from sleep 3-6 seconds later. So now I have set the 'computer sleep mode time to 5 minutes. And it goes to sleep just fine, and I can wake it as normal. Some electrons hidden away somewhere in the computer must be laughing at me as I scratch my head in wonder of MS and W10. Too much for this 72yo ex-bomber pilot to comprehend.

Ask a Question