RasPi as NAS: Map to it via SSH keys

Reaction score
I have a Raspberry Pi setup as a NAS (with SMB). I'm able to connect to it remotely using Putty with a public/private key pair. I'd like to use the same private key to make the connection for the purposes of mapping a network drive to a SMB share on the NAS (i.e. make it so that I don't need to enter the username and password). I'd also like to have it automatically reconnect upon each login.

Is tjhat possible? If so can someone point me in the right direction?

TIA!

Reaction score
I have a Pi set up to use a regular disk drive and I just map the drive from W10. But that is local not remote. I have mini-DLNA on the Pi

Reaction score
Seem to remember having done this in the past, way back, but probably not in any secure way. If you are going to do this regularly maybe easier to set up a VPN and tunnel to it from outside. You should be able to use the key for this. Do you have a fixed IP address or go via a dynamic service? Not sure that the two setups should be too different. Like the other Tim above I do much the same but also ssl into the local server from outside often but don't smb share the drives when I do. If I'm just transferring files, which is the most frequent thing I am doing, I just use things like WinSCP to get in. But then it sounds like you want to have the server providing access to music files across the I/net.

Ask a Question