SOLVED RE:: RESTART

Reaction score
One of my computers, (upgraded from Windows 7) became so messed up after the start menu problem that it is now out for repair. In an effort to not have any similar problem with this computer (new-with Windows 10 pre-installed) my question pertains to pressing "restart". I have read many posts warning not to use "restart" but to chose shut down instead so as to avoid issues. This computer now has an update waiting for a "restart" so it can finish the update. Is it safe to allow a "restart"? The update waiting to be finished is KB3105210. Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Congrats on the new computer. Sorry to hear about the other one, hopefully when you get it back things will be better.
Is it safe to allow a "restart"?
Yes, it is safe.
And I'm not sure of your sources of information about the use of "restart".
I use it all the time and have never experienced any ill effects.
As an aside.......
With respect to the pending completion of the KB update, a shut down should accomplish the same thing as a restart, so.....
If you are seriously paranoid about restarting the computer, then simply close the Windows Update dialog and choose shutdown from your power options.
You should see the same thing, as the shutdown is happening, something about installing updates, please don't turn off your computer and when you start it back up you'll likely see the update completing with some associated dialog there as well.

Reaction score
FYI - I shut down twice and no messages were seen and no updates were installed. I did the restart and thankfully everything went well. The update was a cumulative one, KB3105210. There was a previous cumulative KB3093266 update that failed several times and has still not been installed. Is that a problem or does "cumulative" take care of that?

Ask a Question