Recovering recovery partition?

Reaction score
I have a client who has Windows 10 running in a VM. He set the virtual boot drive size too conservatively, and now the update package for 1903 won't fit on the available space.

I successfully added more space to his virtual drive, but when I went to grow the C partition to encompass the new space, I discovered that there was a recovery partition inbetween them preventing it. I tried some tools to move the recovery partition to the head end of the drive to get it out of the way, but none of them would even offer to do it. I gather that partition and/or the C partition has some kind of property that says it's unable to be moved.

I found many places on the web offering the advice to just blow the recovery partition away to accomplish this task. I would be willing to do that if there were a way to recreate a recovery partition at the end of the new drive. It's there for a reason, after all.

Can this be done?

Reaction score
Sorry no one has responded, but sort of an out of the normal question. If it was a normal install, you could use a third party utility like Partition Wizard to move a partition. Since I have no experience with a VM, I cannot guarantee what might or might not work.

Reaction score
As I mentioned, third-party utilities were tried and none of them will allow the moving of this partition.

I'm getting much more traction and assistance on this problem from another forum, so I've moved to working it there.

Reaction score
OK, hope they can help. If you move the partition out of its normal order, the recovery tools may no longer work. You normally can't move one partition past the other, at least that is how I seem to remember it..

Ask a Question