Recovering to a prior build

BEH

Reaction score
The Windows updates including the new 1697 were applied on my laptop 15/09/2016. During the update process which was extensive the Ethernet adapter settings for the VMware Player adapter were changed. I've tried to obtain advice / help on how to correct my issue on several forums and haven't had many replies... so... I've looked at settings/recovery and noticed that there is an option to recover to a prior build. I'm not familiar with any of this process.. so some Q's
1. - will I be able to get back to 1511 or a time prior to when the 1607 related updates were applied and have a viable OS at that point?
2. - Does the recover backout all updates ?
3. - following the recover / backout, will Windows prompt / schedule again to have the 1607 related updates applied?

I appreciate any help / advice someone can provide... don't want to do anything until I know the ramifications.

thanks Brian

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi BEH,

Welcome to the Forum.

I've not played with VMware but am happy to assist you with a Roll Back if needed.

Before going there though, here is a blog where someone has posted how to repair the VMware Player settings after Anniversary update. Take a look at this first to see whether you can resolve the actual issue before committing to a Roll back.

Note: The Anniversary Update Roll back option lasts for 10 days after installation, so check this page and report back ASAP if you have fixed your settings.

http://www.oxfordsbsguy.com/2016/05...twork-bridge-on-device-vmnet0-is-not-running/

Regards,

Regedit32

BEH

Reaction score
Hi BEH,

Welcome to the Forum.

I've not played with VMware but am happy to assist you with a Roll Back if needed.

Before going there though, here is a blog where someone has posted how to repair the VMware Player settings after Anniversary update. Take a look at this first to see whether you can resolve the actual issue before committing to a Roll back.

Note: The Anniversary Update Roll back option lasts for 10 days after installation, so check this page and report back ASAP if you have fixed your settings.

http://www.oxfordsbsguy.com/2016/05...twork-bridge-on-device-vmnet0-is-not-running/

Regards,

Regedit32

BEH

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32... thanks for your reply... have had only 2 across all forums I've tried...
I'm not sure if the bridge info applies to me... I installed it per the blog info but I haven't tried it yet...
my single laptop env is:
WIN 10 (1607) >>> STARTS VMPlayer services (Linux OS guest system, does not communicate with the internet) . This I'm guessing is about as basic as one can get. The VMPlayer app starts fine and I can logon onto it and view apps running on the guest OS.

The network status in settings / network shows as unidentified network.

The VM ethernet adapter driver is old, 2009 and I'm not sure if upgrading it would help, assuming I can find one, not sure if a new driver wouldn't introduce new issues.. all I know at this point is all worked under 1511, connectivity etc. and under 1607 it doesn't and the problem appears to be the VMware Ethernet adapter settings.. again these are the Ethernet settings as shown on Windows... thanks BEH

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-C0-00-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e9ad:e542:20b0:6a67%2(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.233.1(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 16, 2016 7:51:19 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 16, 2016 8:51:19 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.233.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 33574998
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-AB-56-13-14-FE-B5-B9-BE-1D
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi again,

Are those the new settings? You mentioned they had changed after the update.

I was wondering too, whether you had attempted to reset to default via the VMware Workstation:
  • Edit > Virtual Network Editor > Restore Default

Ask a Question