Recovery drive

Reaction score
My desktop came with Windows 8.1 which I have upgraded to Windows 10. The recovery drive, however, returns it to Windows 8.1. How can I make Windows 10 the go-to recovery? Much appreciated.

Reaction score
The recovery feature is done by the OEM/Builder using the installed version of the OS, puts it back to the day it was shipped to the store or buyer, quite normal. It doesn't have to be used unless there's no other choice in repairing the computer. Win10 has a built-in System Reset that works pretty good. Usually the recovery is a partition on the only drive or it could be on a second physical drive and there's a procedure by the OEM/Builder for activating it. I've not tried it but some have had success in deleting the software needed by that process.

Reaction score
The safest way is to create your own images using Macrium Reflect Free or take, your chances with one of the other Imaging programs. The built-in backup program in windows is very unreliable. For the most part with windows 10, your OS can be Repaired from almost any issues short of malware or viruses, for the most part even Malware can be removed and your system recovered. A virus which is rarer now days is a different story.

Ask a Question