W10 Recovery Drive.

Reaction score
Hello, I created the W10 Recovery Drive for my computer.
I have a friend who's having problems with his computer running W10.
Could I use my W10 Recovery Drive on his computer, or are the created for each computer only.
Thanks for reading.
Barry

Reaction score
Barry,

If your friend already has Windows 10 on his computer and it isn’t running as well as it should do, there is no need to put any recovery drive into his computer to correct it. The option to do this is already in the settings department of Windows 10 itself. It’s all here below.

HOW TO RESET YOUR WINDOWS 10 PC
http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

I did this on my computer and I chose to reset the PC. This took the PC back to its default settings but it saved my personal files and folders. You can if you want, completely clean the hard drive and wipe everything. Just read carefully through the link above and this will do what your friend wants.

Hope this helps

HB

Last edited:
Reaction score
Many thanks for your information HB, but I should have said the computer will not start, which is why I was wondering if I could use my W10 Recovery Drive on his computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the computer will not start
Will the computer do anything?
Do you see the POST screen?
Can you enter the BIOS?
OR
Does it not power up at all.

A "Recovery" drive can be unique if you've chosen to include system files.
While you could use it to boot the problem PC (assuming the language and system architecture is the same) you wouldn't want to actually perform a recovery.
User-created recovery media
When users create USB recovery media using the Create a recovery drive utility, the resulting media always contain a bootable copy of Windows RE. This gives users access to troubleshooting and recovery tools when booting from recovery media.

Users can optionally back up files required to perform bare metal recovery. When the option is selected, the following are copied onto the USB recovery media as well:
Windows Component Store
Installed drivers
Backup of preinstalled Windows apps
Provisioning packages containing preinstalled customizations (under C:\Recovery\Customizations)
Push-button Reset configuration XML and scripts (under C:\Recovery\OEM)
SOURCE: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/wi...set-features-work#User-created_recovery_media

Reaction score
OK, many thanks all for your help.
I did try to recover it with my W10 Recovery Drive on his computer, but it didn't work.
In the end I put another hard drive in it and reinstalled W7, all working ok and passed back to my friend.
Cheers.

Reaction score
OK, many thanks all for your help.
I did try to recover it with my W10 Recovery Drive on his computer, but it didn't work.
In the end I put another hard drive in it and reinstalled W7, all working ok and passed back to my friend.
Cheers.
You could have just reinstall 10 if you are planning to upgrade. Of course that depends on if his computer allows that. I do have some that have to be upgraded to reinstall, but I keep a cloned drive handy

Reaction score
It is possible to reinstall Windows 10 by downloading it on another PC for a USB install flash drive. It seems the only requirement is to log on with your outlook/hotmail password during the install process and windows will boot up activated. Please google up reinstalling Windows 10 to learn more.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello, I created the W10 Recovery Drive for my computer.
I have a friend who's having problems with his computer running W10.
Could I use my W10 Recovery Drive on his computer, or are the created for each computer only.
Thanks for reading.
Barry
Yes you can. W10 recovery or new installer are all generic installers from previous updates. What it means is that if you had a machine that came with windows 7 or 8, then you're entitled to a free upgrade to windows 10. It doesn't matter whether you download windows 10 from Microsoft website or just reuse the DVD or flash drive to reinstall the windows 10 it doesn't Matter. What really matters is that your friend had to have upgraded and registered to windows 10 within one year timeframe. If he hasn't upgraded his unit with the announced one year timeframe then he must but a new license. Otherwise you can use any windows 10 installer and activate using either the eligible update program or windows license key. What I am saying is that Microsoft has changed its license registration and activation system to an inevitable legitimate registration processing method. In a short if he did activate windows 10 previously then yes he can use any installer. Nowadays installer disc means nothing on its own weight. What really matters is the activation process. There's only one activation number that is a generic number designated to all upgraded windows 10. But if you bought the retail windows 10, then it will come with a different reg key. Otherwise all upgrade reg keys are the same. The only difference is each upgrade is assigned to the computer's motherboard's serial number. As an end result, your windows 10 registration number is assigned to the motherboard of your computer. If you Chang the motherboard of your computer then you have to call them up and register the new motherboard for replacement of the previous motherboard. Hope this shed a light to the obscurity. Thx

Ask a Question