Data recovery from W10 SSD? Help!

Reaction score
My laptop was recently broken beyond repair recently and I am looking to recover the data from the HD.

The laptop was an Acer Aspire S7-392 with a 256GB mSATA SSD by Kingston.

The operating system on the HD was Windows 10 (I upgraded from Windows 8.1 just before I broke the laptop).

I have removed the HD and put it in a mSATA to USB3 enclosure.

When I plugged the External enclosure with the hard drive into another PC running Windows 10 it said that the HD could not be recognised and offered me the option to format it.

This is where the extent of my knowledge runs out and I am at a loss with how to proceed with recovering my photos etc from the HD.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. If you need any any further details just let me know.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Dan

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Do you have access to a PC that is a tower? If so, connect the SSD directly to the tower via SATA cable and power cable. Then see if the PC will recognize the SSD. Sometimes with a corrupt HDD/SSD and using an enclosure will generate that type of error message.

Also you may like to try a Linux Distro on a USB drive, making sure that the SSD is connected to a PC internally and see if the distro sees the drive. If it does, then see if you can access the drive and from there pull/remove what data you want off of it.

Reaction score
I have seen this with W10. If that SSD was the boot drive on the laptop then W10 might well be unhappy with it when plugged in as a non-boot drive. You might take a look with Disk management tho' to see if that sees it.

Try plugging the SSD into a spare SATA port on a tower as Bassfisher says. If that doesn't work then plug it in as the boot disk on the tower with the towers own boot disk disconnected. I think there is a good possibility that the tower will boot and the disk will be recognized....but that may not help as the Towers boot disk might have the same problem as a non-boot disk!

I agree that, if you have a Linux distro with NTFS drivers that is the best way, boot from a CD or memory stick and copy files with Linux.

Reaction score
You know, when you see a message that looks like a positive response to your long-awaited application (whatever that may be), it’s understandable that your judgment will be clouded. I was very encouraged to find this site. The reason being that this is such an informative post. I wanted to thank you for this informative analysis of the subject. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I submitted your site to some of the biggest social networks so others can find your blog. Therefore, in return I can offer you this help for you to further understand more about your problem about erasing/recovering data securely from your device.

Ask a Question