SOLVED Data transfer speeds

Reaction score
Morning all. Opinions needed, please...

Is it best to simply install a USB 3.0 card into my computer (connect various USB drives to it), or buy a QNAP TS-231P for storage and backups?

The USB 3.0 would be quicker for data transfer, versus the QNAP over LAN, no?

PS: I already bought the QNAP and 2 x 1TB IronWolf drives. But, I have a strong feeling that data transfer via the USB 3.0 would be quicker than network transfer. Hence my question(s).

Reaction score
IMHO if your computer does not have a USB3 port by default, it would not make sense to add a USB3 card as the data bus controller cannot handle the transfer speed beyond USB2. The only advantage you get is that you can connect USB3 devices without loading down the USB2 port as USB3 can provide a higher power than USB2.

Reaction score
Thanks for that! I did not even think about that, and should have.

PS: I like your slogan! So bloody true ;)

IMHO if your computer does not have a USB3 port by default, it would not make sense to add a USB3 card as the data bus controller cannot handle the transfer speed beyond USB2. The only advantage you get is that you can connect USB3 devices without loading down the USB2 port as USB3 can provide a higher power than USB2.

Reaction score
I've added USB 3 adapters to a couple of computers but they were for the PCIe X1 or X4 slot and had their own connection to the power supply, not seeing any speed issues with USB 3 devices.

Reaction score
Sounds like you're saying, if I did add a PCIe to my HP Z600, AND connected power to the card, too (obtaining a USB 3.0 PCIe card with power), that would help with obtaining near USB 3.0 type speeds?

Thanks

I've added USB 3 adapters to a couple of computers but they were for the PCIe X1 or X4 slot and had their own connection to the power supply, not seeing any speed issues with USB 3 devices.

Reaction score
That's the result I see. And all parts have to be rated as/marked as SS/SuperSpeed or USB 3. Generally the center of the USB 3 ports and plugs will be blue and USB 2 will be black. All of my USB 3 devices use a different type of plug on the device end of the cable and can't use the USB 2 type cables. The computer end of the USB 3 cables will plug into a USB 2 port, referred to as Fall Back or Compatible with the slower speed.

Reaction score
I added a USB3 card in a PCIE slot with direct power from the PSU. My mobo does not have USB3 built in. It certainly works well enough for an external disk drive for backup.

Reaction score
Well, according to the specs USB2 has a maximum Transfer rate of 60MB/s compared to the 1.25GB/s and 2.5GB/s for USB3.1 and USB3.2 .
USB3.0 only reaches a data transfer rate of 625MB/s (Superspeed mode).

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

The issue is even if one installs a USB3 card that may reach the rates, the bottleneck is the feeding controller of said card. If the Data bus of the main board does not provide the speed needed for the card, the card will not provide it either...

Although I believe that PCIe should be able to handle that, look here for more Info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hmm, are you saying I should just get a USB 3.1/3.2 PCIe card then?

Well, according to the specs USB2 has a maximum Transfer rate of 60MB/s compared to the 1.25GB/s and 2.5GB/s for USB3.1 and USB3.2 .
USB3.0 only reaches a data transfer rate of 625MB/s (Superspeed mode).

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

The issue is even if one installs a USB3 card that may reach the rates, the bottleneck is the feeding controller of said card. If the Data bus of the main board does not provide the speed needed for the card, the card will not provide it either...

Reaction score
Well, since that is currently the fastest one, I'd say yes since they are all downward compatible. Look at my edits, there is a link to wikipedia about PCIe as well. My pc's do not have pcie so this is basically all I know about that...

Reaction score
After quite a bit of research and testing, I went with a USB 3.1 PCIe card, by SIIG.
I decided to return the QNAP, along with the IronWolf drives. After reviewing my data, I only have 200GB. And even if you think long term, I would end up with around 1TB over the next 1-2 years.

Anyway, all that to say, the 2TB LaCie USB 3.0 drive, connected via the new SIIG USB 3.1 card, is fast, and suitable. See images...

after_usb_pctie_install.png
before_USB_3.png

Reaction score
I am happy to see that it worked out for you.My 3 mobile external (2TB each)drives are at present about 65% full and my 3 stationary drives (2x1TB and one 3TB) are about 70% full. I expect to upgrade to bigger drives in about 2-3 years. Can't believe how much accumulates over the years (mostly Photos, music and service manuals)...

Ask a Question