Recycle Bin corrupted

Reaction score
I searched all the forums, but find nothing relating to this problem.

I recently mirror image copies all of my files from my external Seagate drive to a new Western Digital 3 TB external drive (labeled I: with a partition labeled H:). The drive is connected to a one year old Asus 64-bit notebook.

Since I did this, every time I boot the notebook, I get this message:

"The Recycle Bin on I:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?" Occasionally it will deliver that same message but with the drive letter H: at the same time as the first message, but never just H: without I: first.

I have scoured the 'Net for a solution, tried every one that I found, but to no avail. I have also run checks on the WD drive to see if there is a hardware or software problem native to that drive, but they come back clean. It is a simple matter to click on Yes when those messages show at boot time, but it is annoying and I want it to end.

Any suggestions will be tried, assuming that it isn't one I have tried already. The ones I have tried are:

C:\Windows\System32>rd /s /q I:\$Recycle.bin

C:\Windows\System32>sfc /SCANNOW

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth and
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Full in-depth virus scans using several different anti-virus programs.

There may be more that I can't recall at this moment.

Reaction score
I searched all the forums, but find nothing relating to this problem.

I recently mirror image copies all of my files from my external Seagate drive to a new Western Digital 3 TB external drive (labeled I: with a partition labeled H:). The drive is connected to a one year old Asus 64-bit notebook.

Since I did this, every time I boot the notebook, I get this message:

"The Recycle Bin on I:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?" Occasionally it will deliver that same message but with the drive letter H: at the same time as the first message, but never just H: without I: first.

I have scoured the 'Net for a solution, tried every one that I found, but to no avail. I have also run checks on the WD drive to see if there is a hardware or software problem native to that drive, but they come back clean. It is a simple matter to click on Yes when those messages show at boot time, but it is annoying and I want it to end.

Any suggestions will be tried, assuming that it isn't one I have tried already. The ones I have tried are:

C:\Windows\System32>rd /s /q I:\$Recycle.bin

C:\Windows\System32>sfc /SCANNOW

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth and
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Full in-depth virus scans using several different anti-virus programs.

There may be more that I can't recall at this moment.
Hi Gowisha.

I have exactly the same problem as you do, using a 2TB WD external drive.
It's driving (no pun intended) me mad as it doesn't always occur every day. It must be WD linked I think.
Does anyone else have this ongoing problem?

Regedit32

Reaction score
The $RECYCLE.BIN the alert is referring to is most likely on the Partition/Drive mentioned.

Open File Explorer and navigate to the drive mentioned, then:
  • In File Explorer ribbon click the View tab
  • Check the Hidden items box
  • Now double-left-click on Options to open Folder Options
  • In the Folder Options window select View tab
  • Scroll down and remove check next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Click Apply / OK
You should now be able to see the $RECYCLE.BIN in your selected Drive within File Explorer, and possible some others just beneath it. The extra ones will be inaccessible as they are protected, however if you double-left-click on the $RECYCLE.BIN this ought to open and show a standard Recycle bin icon.

Open this standard Recycle bin and empty its contents.

That ought to stop the persistent error message you both are getting.

When done, back in the File Explorer Ribbon > View tab: Open the Folder Options again, and return to the Folder Options > View tab and check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) then click Apply/OK

Reaction score
The problem was the WD drive. Their tech support said that WD drives don't do well when partitioned. Return it and got a Verbatim, which does it all without problems.

Reaction score
All very well said and done but my drive was NOT partitioned. However, I'll have a go at what Regedit32 states and report back for other users.

Reaction score
Regedit32 process worked fine for a few days but message saying 'Recycle bin on I:\ is corrupted' has returned to my screen this morning. Not sure where to go from here.

Regedit32

Reaction score
You'll need to redo the steps previously given.

Once you've done that you'll need to investigate how your backups are working, because it would seem, something in that process is dumping corrupted files into your recycle bin for some reason.

Reaction score
Yes, I can see where you are going but I'm no IT guru and don't have the necessary skills. It wasn't my fault that it happened in the first place...........software failure from someone in the big wild world.
Perhaps someone out there knows how????

Ask a Question