Corrupted Recycle Bin

Reaction score
Hi
On one of my drives when I click on a folder I get a message "recyle bin corrupted"

Thanks for any help

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Alsie,

The error message you are seeing will be referring to a Protected System Folder called $RECYCLE.BIN

This folder is used to temporarily store files being deleted.

Each Drive / Partition you have will contain its own copy of $RECYCLE.BIN in the root directory of the Drive or Partition.

The average user has a single Partition: C Drive, or C: where their Windows OS is installed. But many users partition their drives to install a different OS for multi booting options, or to store other files for a backup etcetera.

Windows has a mechanism to rebuild the $RECECYLE.BIN on a Restart of the computer should it be removed.

To remove this though you must use an elevated command (i.e. a command run as administrator).

Assumg your Windows is installed on your C-drive, that is, C:\WINDOWS then do the following:
  • Press Winkey + X
  • Now press A or with your mouse select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Click Yes if prompted to
When the Administrator: Command Prompt window opens you will see in its console you are at the following prompt: C:\WINDOWS\System32>
  • At that prompt type or copy and paste the following command:
rd /s /q C:\$RECYCLE.BIN

Note: this command will search for and delete the Protected System folder: $RECYCLE.BIN

Be very careful to enter the command precisely. Other critical files or an entire directory can be deleted if you enter anything other than the EXACT command above.

If you have Windows installed on another partition/drive then in the above command replace the C: with the correct Drive/partition letter. For example if Windows was installed on your F drive, then the above command would read: rd /s /q F:\$RECYCLE.BIN
  • Press your Enter key to execute the above command
  • Type Exit to close the Console window
  • If you have any other programs open, save changes, and close them.
  • Restart your computer
Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Regedit32 for very good instructions and prompt reply, and it worked.

Thanks very much
Alsie

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Alsie,

Thank you for confirming your issue was resolved. This helps others who may be facing this identical issue, or just are interested in learning how to resolve issues before they occur.

As your error involved the Windows System it would be worth take a few minutes to do a complete System File Check to make sure there are no other System issues going on that may cause your $RECYCLE.BIN to corrupt again or give you an entirely new issue to resolve.

As in the last resolution the System File Check needs to be done in an elevated command console like so:
  • Press Winkey + X
In the Administrator: Command Prompt console you will see the prompt C:\WINDOWS\System32>
  • At this prompt type or copy and paste the following command:
SFC /SCANNOW
  • Press your Enter key to execute
This scan will take several minutes to do. At the end of scan if any other System issues were found you will be told. It will also confirm if any discovered issues were resolved, or the opposite, that an issue was unable to be resolved.

If something was unable to be resolved make a note of it and if needed report back here or start a new thread.
  • When ready type Exit then press your Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt console.
  • If errors were found and repaired you will need to restart your computer. First though close any other open programs after saving any changes you need to save. If no errors were found there is no need to restart your computer.
Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32
I did the system checkand this was the results.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the
CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Forexample C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in
offline servicing scenarios.
Thanks Alsie

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Alsie,
  • Press Winkey + X
  • Press A or with mouse select Command Prompt (Admin)
This will open the Administrator: Command Prompt console to the prompt: C:\WINDOWS\System32>
  • Type or copy and paste the following command at the prompt:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
  • Press Enter key to execute the above command
  • Type Exit | then press Enter key to close Administrator: Command Prompt console.
  • Now when replying to this post, click the Upload a File button and navigate to your Desktop
  • Select the file you just created on your Desktop: sfcdetails.txt
I need to get going for now but will take a look at the file later on and if I can assist further will let you know.

Also, someone else on the Forum may take a look and post a reply to you too. So keep an eye out.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32
When I try to upload the file I get a error message with "the file dosen't have a allowed extension"

Thanks Alsie

Regedit32

Reaction score
When I try to upload the file I get a error message with "the file dosen't have a allowed extension"

Hi Alsie, the file created on your Desktop ought to be a text file and hence have the extension .TXT

That normally will upload here fine.

Try again, as it may just have been a server glitch this end. If it still will not upload I'll send a message to one of the Forum Staff or Ian the Administrator to get them to check if its an issue this end and hopefully they can resolve it.

As an alternative, if you open the sfcdetails.txt file on your Desktop you could copy and paste its contents into the Reply box here. That may be a rather large post, but if all else fails that would allow me and others to review the report.

Regards,

Regedit32

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've seen text files (.txt) uploaded here before. Not sure why alsie would have that issue unless it's very large.
Perhaps put it into a new folder on your desktop, zip that up and attach it and see if that works.

Reaction score
I've changed the extentsion to .TXT and it's uploaded

Attachments

• sfcdetails.TXT
    115.3 KB · Views: 771

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Alsie,

Thanks for uploading your sfcdetails.TXT file.

The good news is there is only one driver that was unable to be repaired using the standard SFC utility.

So the next step is to make use of Microsoft's "Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management" tool, more commonly referred to as DISM.

• Press Winkey + X
  • Press A or with mouse select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the Administrator: Command Prompt console opens you will see the prompt: C:\WINDOWS\System32>
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
  • Press your Enter key to execute the command.
All going well this will resolve that one last driver. If it does not succeed make a note of the error message when the process completes and report back this information to the Forum.

Once the process is completed type Exit | then press your Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt console.

If the DISM was successful and the current file is sorted, it is worth Restarting computer.

Note: The above command makes use of the Window Update service when locating a replacement file for the currently corrupted one. Occasionally this fails (especially if the Windows Update Service is itself corrupted, or turned off). In that event you will need to get a Windows.WIM image and mount it then repeat the above command, with a few new flags in it to force the system to seek a replacement file from your own system. More on that later if we need to go down this route.

Oh in case you have not all ready reviewed your sfcdetails.TXT file the corrupted file is:

• "opencl.dll" of microsoft-windows-RemoteFX-clientVM-RemoteFXWDDMDriver-WOW64-C
  • This file was referenced from an AMD setup package, so assuming everything else is working on your computer fine at the moment it may not be necessary to repair this for now.
  • The issue with the file appears to be a Hash Mismatch. The interesting thing is this issue appeared a few years ago with a faulty NVidia graphic driver. I was under the impression that was later corrected; but perhaps it wasn't. The good news though is if this is what is going on with your system, its a bug and one that did not cause any other major issues other than to prevent SFC /SCANNOW coming back as 100% good news on the report.

So I will leave it up to you as to whether you give the DISM command a go to see whether there is an available replacement to your current file. The scan does take a while so be patient.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32
Thanks for the good news.I did the scan you suggested but it didn't repair the probelm,but I am pleased with the out come.
Thank you so much for all your efforts and time.

Alsie

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Alsie,

Thanks for the update.

I had a feeling that may still not resolve the issue as it appears to be an on going bug with one specific driver; but it was worth an attempt anyway.

Microsoft are aware of this though so hopefully they will eventually provide a solution to the issue, or if not them the manufacturer of the driver software.

So far as I can tell its a minor bug that is not causing any drastic system issues for Windows users, so all going well you should be fine. I can confirm it had nothing to do with your $RECYCLE.BIN issue.

Happy Computing.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Alsie,

The error message you are seeing will be referring to a Protected System Folder called $RECYCLE.BIN

This folder is used to temporarily store files being deleted.

Each Drive / Partition you have will contain its own copy of $RECYCLE.BIN in the root directory of the Drive or Partition.

The average user has a single Partition: C Drive, or C: where their Windows OS is installed. But many users partition their drives to install a different OS for multi booting options, or to store other files for a backup etcetera.

Windows has a mechanism to rebuild the $RECECYLE.BIN on a Restart of the computer should it be removed.

To remove this though you must use an elevated command (i.e. a command run as administrator).

Assumg your Windows is installed on your C-drive, that is, C:\WINDOWS then do the following:
  • Press Winkey + X
  • Click Yes if prompted to
When the Administrator: Command Prompt window opens you will see in its console you are at the following prompt: C:\WINDOWS\System32>
rd /s /q C:\$RECYCLE.BIN

Note: this command will search for and delete the Protected System folder: $RECYCLE.BIN

Be very careful to enter the command precisely. Other critical files or an entire directory can be deleted if you enter anything other than the EXACT command above.

If you have Windows installed on another partition/drive then in the above command replace the C: with the correct Drive/partition letter. For example if Windows was installed on your F drive, then the above command would read: rd /s /q F:\$RECYCLE.BIN
  • Press your Enter key to execute the above command
  • Type Exit to close the Console window
  • If you have any other programs open, save changes, and close them.
  • Restart your computer
Regards,

Regedit32
Hi Regedit32,

Are there spaces between d and /, s and / and q and C?

Reaction score
Thanks. Thought as much but doesn't solve my problem!
I did notice however that you use capital letters for the RECYCLE.BIN. Is this crucial as I haven't been using them?

Regedit32

Reaction score
I did notice however that you use capital letters for the RECYCLE.BIN. Is this crucial as I haven't been using them?

In some cases commands are case sensitive, however in this particular instance, they are not, so it should not make any difference, provided you entered the command, its flags, and correctly spelled $RECYCLE.BIN with the .BIN extension etcetera. Thus typing: rd /s /d c:\$recycle.bin would be fine.

Ask a Question