Repairing Disk Errors Stuck

Reaction score
It started with my computer getting slow recently. I thought nothing of it, assuming that I just needed to update windows or something simple. I continue using my computer as normal and end up downloading the Dish Anywhere App (not sure if relevant to the problem, but adding anyways). A few hours later, after downloading the Dish App, I open my computer and I could move the cursor around, but not click anything. I give it some time before turning off my laptop (Lenovo - Yoga 700 14" 2-in-1 Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 256GB Solid State Drive, the name of it on Best Buy, can provide more details if necessary), with the power button. I turn it on and the same problem occurs, everything boots properly and the mouse can move around, but I cannot click anything at all and shortcuts take a long time to respond (like 2-3 minutes). I again turn off the laptop and attempt to boot it into safe mode for the first time. There is absolutely no lag and I can click on everything. Attempting to fix the boot up, I disable all of the startup programs in the task manager and restart, to no avail. I try booting up again, but this time in safe mode with a network, where again the lag returned. Having a hunch about the Dish App, I tried to uninstall it from the control panel, and it would not uninstall until I booted my computer up like normal, and waited a very long time to do so. That did not work either. After trying to do a system restore and failing on all the different save points, I decided to do some research on the forums while simultaneously struggling to do a system restore. After a countless amount of attempts, a dialogue box came up saying that there was something corrupted with the C: drive. The box asked if I wanted to do a disk scan and I said yes. It finished and I thought that it was fixed, but the same problems persisted. This is where I began to try stuff from the forums. First I went to the command prompt from safe mode and inputed the line "sfc /scannow" which would climb up to an inconsistent percentage and always finish with "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair," and I eventually gave up on that. Finally I inputed the line "chkdsk /f /r" to find any corrupt files on the disk and it greeted me with “Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.” I found the solution to that was to let the check happen when I initially start my computer in order to find the errors, and it's been stuck on that screen for over four hours. In conclusion, I feel like there is something corrupted in my system files which I have no idea how to fix, and my laptop is stuck on the repairing disk error screen. Any help is appreciated, thanks again for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_1357.JPG
    IMG_1357.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 851

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The native Check Disk utility, depending on the size of the disk being checked can take a long time and appear to hang, and.....
depending on other parameters like available free space, spare sectors, and the amount of actual physical problems with the disk (if any) can add time to the process.
It's best to let it run and not interrupt it.
4 hours seems to be a long time, especially considering only a 256 Gig SSD.
Does your computer have a hard disk activity light? Do you see any disk activity, based on the light flickering?
You mentioned that the computer runs fine in Safe Mode, how about trying......

clean booting your system as described here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Use the steps for Windows 8 / 8.1 (same for Windows 10)
Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

After configuring your machine to Clean Boot, if that seems to provide any relief from the problem you will then have to take some time and determine what the offending program, service / process might be.
Carefully and deliberately one non-Microsoft service at a time or in very small groups re-enable them, rebooting after each change to observe any changes. Then graduate to the Startup items again rebooting after each change.
Understanding that in some cases, a Startup item may have a non-microsoft service associated with it and as a result you may not notice the impact until both the Startup item and the service are re-enabled.

Reaction score
Error Checking Hard Drives in Windows 10
If you can boot to the Windows desktop, you can start a hard disk scan from within File Explorer. Click Start > File Explorer > This PC.

Then, right click the system drive where Windows 10 is installed, then click Properties. Select the Tools tab then click Check.
still getting same error check this method
https://www.errorsolutions.tech/error/windows-10-repairing-disk-errors/
Solution 2. Run DISM command with sfc /scannow command

Ask a Question