windows stuck scanning and repairing @67%

Reaction score
On initial start up had notice to check and repair c drive. It is now stuck at 67% completion and now I am unable to start windows. How can I stop the scanning? I managed to get into the diagnostic pages by pressing the space bar on the start up but non of the action allow me to sttop the scanning process.

Any suggestions please?

Regards

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The best thing you could do, or perhaps now, should have done, was let it finish.
The native Check Disk utility's counter is not always accurate and may frequently appear to be stuck at any number of points along its' progress.
On initial start up had notice to check and repair c drive.
You mention "initial start up".
Was this immediately following a clean install or an upgrade install or well after one or the other and you had just started your computer at the beginning of the day?
Your C drive of course is where the Operating System resides and if the OS is indicating a problem then it will likely have to be addressed at some point.
Do you have backups of all your critical data and or a disk image of your installation?

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The best thing you could do, or perhaps now, should have done, was let it finish.
The native Check Disk utility's counter is not always accurate and may frequently appear to be stuck at any number of points along its' progress.

You mention "initial start up".
Was this immediately following a clean install or an upgrade install or well after one or the other and you had just started your computer at the beginning of the day?
Your C drive of course is where the Operating System resides and if the OS is indicating a problem then it will likely have to be addressed at some point.
Do you have backups of all your critical data and or a disk image of your installation?
Many thanks for your reply.
Since my posting I found on Google that many other people are having the same problem of the Scanning & Repairing hanging in a loop.
Sadly, I have had so many niggles with W10 and with this problem I have made my decision to revert back to W7.
I will wait a little longer for the wrinkles to be ironed out before I re install W10.

Regards Michael.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK Michael and thanks for the follow-up.
IF at some point, when things settle down, you have any reason to suspect that there may actually be some issue with that hard drive, you may still want to run Check Disk, after making sure you have all your critical data backed up and safe.
Upgrading is a pretty big deal, as well as reverting back. It wouldn't be unreasonable to find that the process has taxed the hard disk sufficiently to expose some flaws. Especially if the disk is a few years old.

Reaction score
OK Michael and thanks for the follow-up.
IF at some point, when things settle down, you have any reason to suspect that there may actually be some issue with that hard drive, you may still want to run Check Disk, after making sure you have all your critical data backed up and safe.
Upgrading is a pretty big deal, as well as reverting back. It wouldn't be unreasonable to find that the process has taxed the hard disk sufficiently to expose some flaws. Especially if the disk is a few years old.

The disk drive is less than 6 months old and is an SSD. I also ran the chkdsk and no problems found. I am sure this problem is going to occur for others because W10 is not so controllable. It has got a long way to go to beat W7 as user friendly.
Many thanks for your reply and I wish you well.

Reaction score
boot to safedisk
or
boot to boot media - follow thru to command prompt
opened command prompt admin paste this chkntfs /x c: enter

Ask a Question