Repeating failure pattern

Reaction score
For the second time, a 1Tb 2.5" disk, recently purchased on Ebay, has lasted only DAYS of use as an external data HDD - accessed by USB3 cable connected to a caddy - so two HDDs in a row, after purchase from Ebay, have passed HDSentinal scrutiny, and diskscan found no read errors, then worked satisfactorily for several hours on only two days, before becoming unrecognised, even on direct SATA connections (out of the caddy). WHAT can be going on ?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
They're used.....and as such (buyer beware) you never know what you're going to get. So warranty is out, don't know the usage history of the drive, don't know the physical history of the drive....ie dropped and so on.

Why not just buy a brand new drive? They are cheap now......

Reaction score
I just may have to buy a NEW drive. 'Cheap' is relative. I can understand your common sense argument, but I take it you have no TECHNICAL advice about the incredibly coincidental misbehaviour of the two 1Tb HDDs I have been cursed with.

Reaction score
Can you feel anything when the drive is connected to the computer (vibration), if you cannot, either the drive is dead or there is a faulty power or SATA cable, are the SATA cables bent and twisted?, if they are, they can be damaged!. ;)

Reaction score
No, I can feel no vibration in either of those 1Tb HDDs - I have tried them in many configurations - in a caddy in two PCs, and also direct onto SATA connectors - ones that work with other drives - in TWO PCs.

Reaction score
Sounds like that they are dead, did the seller specify that they were in working order or were they sold as possibly defect?. :(

Reaction score
The seller did not need to - in my post I wrote that I tested them myself with HDSentinel and Diskscanner AND worked with them satisfactorily for (only) two days.

Reaction score
If damage occured it would have been while they were in the caddy ,connected by USB - that is the avenue I feel should be explored.

Reaction score
Quote from Wolfie “or there is a faulty power or”
Can you check? that is also my suspicion

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
but I take it you have no TECHNICAL advice about the incredibly coincidental misbehaviour of the two 1Tb HDDs I have been cursed with.
So you want to talk TECHNICAL.....let' talk technical.

No make/model of caddy being used. No mention of external power for caddy. NO mention of any pertinent hardware info at all. No mention of how the HDD's were used prior to you getting them. No make/model of the actual drives.
the incredibly coincidental misbehaviour of the two 1Tb HDDs I have been cursed with.
That's a good indicator that the caddy is at fault......as mentioned by others.
The seller did not need to - in my post I wrote that I tested them myself
Well you should of checked. Just running software scans on a HDD has nothing to do with the mechanical function of the drive. Heads, could be slipping or misaligned from shipping or anything for that matter. To many variables to accurately assess.

With out that info.....it's just a guessing game.

Reaction score
Quote from Wolfie “or there is a faulty power or”
Can you check? that is also my suspicion
I think that is ruled out by the fact that both HDDs remain invisible in a number of different connection scenarios in two PCs, where other drives function.

Reaction score
I think that is ruled out by the fact that both HDDs remain invisible in a number of different connection scenarios in two PCs, where other drives function.
And you are using the same "Caddy"?
There are many different models. This is mine, a rather older version. But the circuitry shon separate, is the only operative part. Could that be failing?

1610436653756.png

Reaction score
If damage occured it would have been while they were in the caddy ,connected by USB - that is the avenue I feel should be explored.
Have you tried a different USB port too?. Are there any lights on the caddy if it has any?. ;)

Reaction score
And you are using the same "Caddy"?
There are many different models. This is mine, a rather older version. But the circuitry shon separate, is the only operative part. Could that be failing?

View attachment 13017
I'm using just the one caddy - yours is metal, mine is plastic casing. It WORKS, it's just that the drives don't last.

Reaction score
I did buy a NEW SSD. For the moment, a third 2.5" 1Tb HDD is still working from that caddy. Can only hope it will continue to, at least until the new one arrives

Ask a Question